Syntax highlighting does not work in MacVim

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011
      I'm familiar with gvim on linux ubuntu. Am now learning to use
      Macvim on Mac Mini (Lion OS). Syntax highlighting is not working,
      except for a few keywords. I'm using the same rc files with no
      modification.
      -------------------------------------
      | What additional needs to be done? |
      -------------------------------------
      On a related note, is it possible to start MacVim in debug mode from
      the command line?
      --
      Tim
      http://www.akwebsoft.com

    • Peter Palmreuther
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011

        On 21.10.2011 at 02:49 Tim Johnson wrote:

        > I'm familiar with gvim on linux ubuntu. Am now learning to use
        > Macvim on Mac Mini (Lion OS). Syntax highlighting is not working,
        > except for a few keywords. I'm using the same rc files with no
        > modification.

        Can you elaborate on "not working, except for a few keywords"?
        What type of syntax highlighting do you expect, what's presented instead?
        Does it change if you manually select the syntax to use?
        What's in your rc files?

        > On a related note, is it possible to start MacVim in debug mode from
        > the command line?

        In Terminal.app execute "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -D" or "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -V" (assuming you've put MacVim into default application folder).
        --
        Best regards,

        Peter

      • Tim Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2011
          * Peter Palmreuther <pitpalme@...> [111020 22:29]:
          > Hi,
          Thanks for the response.

          > Can you elaborate on "not working, except for a few keywords"?
          > What type of syntax highlighting do you expect, what's presented instead?
          Not all keyword groups are being highlighted. Example, I have a
          macro which expands to
          :echo synIDattr(synID(line("."), col("."), 1), "name")<CR><Space>
          and only keywords defined in ~/.vim/after are highlighted and those
          that I expect to be highlighted are not shown as belonging to
          a highlight group.
          > Does it change if you manually select the syntax to use?
          No.
          > What's in your rc files?
          :) Now that's a lot to cover! To make it short I am using the same
          local rc files and .vim directory that I use in linux.
          But it has become moot.
          ----------------------

          This is happening _only_ when I open a set of files defined in a
          session file imported from linux. There are numerous error
          messages most to do with non-existant paths and fonts. This is
          just a side effect of the errors, I would guess, because when I
          open a file from :e or from the menu, highlighting is all good.

          > > On a related note, is it possible to start MacVim in debug mode from
          > > the command line?

          > In Terminal.app execute
          > "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -D" or
          > "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -f -g -V" (assuming
          > you've put MacVim into default application folder).

          Oh this is very handy. Thanks. I need that.

          Other questions will follow, no doubt.
          cheers
          --
          Tim