Re: MacVim does not build with Xcode 4.2

  • Tim Gray
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
      On Oct 13, 2011 at 02:47 PM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
      >This time I have Xcode 4.2. MacVim did not build.
      >Got these (selected) error messages:
      > /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -v -E -dM -arch x86_64 -x c -c /dev/null 2>&1
      > :info:build Check dependencies
      > :info:build Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2' selected for architecture 'x86_64'
      > :info:build (1 failure)
      > :info:build make[1]: *** [macvim] Error 65

      I've been building MacVim here locally, from git, for awhile now. I
      haven't had much in the way of issues, but I can confirm that with Xcode
      4.2, my normal build process fails. I'm not quite sure where your
      above error messages are occuring, but here's what I got:

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
        On 14 October 2011 16:26, Tim Gray wrote:
        > On Oct 13, 2011 at 02:47 PM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
        >>
        >> This time I have Xcode 4.2. MacVim did not build.
        >> Got these (selected) error messages:
        >> /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -v -E -dM -arch x86_64 -x c -c /dev/null 2>&1
        >>  :info:build Check dependencies
        >>  :info:build Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2' selected for architecture
        >> 'x86_64'
        >>  :info:build (1 failure)
        >>  :info:build make[1]: *** [macvim] Error 65
        >
        > I've been building MacVim here locally, from git, for awhile now.  I haven't
        > had much in the way of issues, but I can confirm that with Xcode 4.2, my
        > normal build process fails.  I'm not quite sure where your above error
        > messages are occuring, but here's what I got:

        Building from the repo should work _unless_ you specify the
        --with-macsdk flag is passed to configure, see [1]. You do need the
        very latest commit however.

        Björn

        [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=375

      • Tim Gray
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
          On Oct 14, 2011 at 07:00 PM +0200, björn wrote:
          >Building from the repo should work _unless_ you specify the
          >--with-macsdk flag is passed to configure, see [1]. You do need the
          >very latest commit however.

          I do have the latest commit (I think). My configure line was:

          ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp \
          --enable-pythoninterp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope

          It's possible I have some cruft left over from some previous tinkering.
          Also, there's no rush for me to get a build working. I previously built
          a post snapshot-61 build and have been using that. I'm sure any build
          issues with Xcode 4.2 will be sorted out soon.

        • Tim Gray
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
            On Oct 14, 2011 at 07:00 PM +0200, björn wrote:
            >Building from the repo should work _unless_ you specify the
            >--with-macsdk flag is passed to configure, see [1]. You do need the
            >very latest commit however.

            I spoke too soon. Running `make distclean` and trying to build again
            cleared everything up.