MacVim-5.7.9 on MacOS 8.6 loses swapfile

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2000
      From: wolff@...
      To: guckes-vim@...-berlin.de
      Subject: [Fwd: [Mac]Vim .swp won't delete on exit (+fix)]
      Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:37:11 +0200

      Hello Sven,

      I've put this on comp.editors minutes before. Bug?

      > Recently I started using MacVim5.7.9 under MacOS 8.6. Saving certain
      > files caused vim to not delete the swap file upon exit.
      >
      > It is a slash '/' in the header of the file in question
      > that makes vim loose the swap file before exiting.
      >
      > I can save a dummy file (blabla) basically under any header.
      > Even !@#$%^&*()<>?| will do, but add a /
      > to it and 'oops, lost the swap file'.
      > Same goes for opening a file with such header.
      > It gives the warning 'can't open swap file for ... '
      >
      > NoSlash seems to be the fix for me.
      > Maybe useful for you too.
    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2000
        I've run into this problem a few times. It seems to happen more often
        when I start up MacVim by itself (so no default filename). I remember
        hearing some explanations that it's more prone to happen if the volume
        has a space in it, but I can't recall where I heard it. It wouldn't
        surprise me if something in the Vim code still assumes it's doing UFS.

        : From: wolff@...
        : To: guckes-vim@...-berlin.de
        : Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:37:11 +0200
        :
        : Hello Sven,
        :
        : I've put this on comp.editors minutes before. Bug?
        :
        : > Recently I started using MacVim5.7.9 under MacOS 8.6. Saving certain
        : > files caused vim to not delete the swap file upon exit.
        : >

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2000
          > I've put this on comp.editors minutes before. Bug?
          >
          > > Recently I started using MacVim5.7.9 under MacOS 8.6. Saving certain
          > > files caused vim to not delete the swap file upon exit.
          > >
          > > It is a slash '/' in the header of the file in question
          > > that makes vim loose the swap file before exiting.
          > >
          > > I can save a dummy file (blabla) basically under any header.
          > > Even !@#$%^&*()<>?| will do, but add a /
          > > to it and 'oops, lost the swap file'.
          > > Same goes for opening a file with such header.
          > > It gives the warning 'can't open swap file for ... '

          By header you mean filename, right?

          A slash is a directory separator on Unix, thus something deep in the Vim
          code assumes you want to access a sub-directory (sub folder in
          Mac-speak) but it doesn't find the folder.

          It is a trade off. Either you can enter Unix-style filenames (like
          /Data/text/plain/fortune for Data:text:plain:fortune) or you can have a
          "/" in your filename and "/Data/text/plain/fortune" is a filename.

          Isn't this documented on the MacVim Web page?
          No, it isn't, will be changed when uploading the next release.[1]

          > > NoSlash seems to be the fix for me.

          Do you have an URL?

          [1] The people responsible for the MacVim Webpage have been sacked.

          Axel
          --
          There is nothing left to try
          There is nothing left to choose