MacVim does not build with Xcode 4.2

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2011
      FYI: old (in more ways than one) linux coder. New to mac.
      A week or so ago, I build MacVim with Xcode with a minimum of
      fumbling on a Mac Mini 2011 with Lion. I restored the OS completely
      yesterday and downloaded Xcode. I may have had Xcode 4.1 last week.
      This time I have Xcode 4.2. MacVim did not build.
      Got these (selected) error messages:
      /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -v -E -dM -arch x86_64 -x c -c /dev/null 2>&1
      :info:build Check dependencies
      :info:build Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2' selected for architecture 'x86_64'
      :info:build (1 failure)
      :info:build make[1]: *** [macvim] Error 65

      From the Macports ML, I have so far received comments that indicated
      that it may be some time before there is any easy fix.

      In the meantime: The MacVim binary is available from
      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
      Looks like it will work for me. It is compile 'huge' and with
      python, and that is good enough for me.

      Comments are welcome, but am submitting this as informational in
      hope that it may help someone else.

      cheers
      --
      Tim
      http://www.akwebsoft.com

    • Tim Gray
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
        On Oct 13, 2011 at 02:47 PM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
        >This time I have Xcode 4.2. MacVim did not build.
        >Got these (selected) error messages:
        > /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -v -E -dM -arch x86_64 -x c -c /dev/null 2>&1
        > :info:build Check dependencies
        > :info:build Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2' selected for architecture 'x86_64'
        > :info:build (1 failure)
        > :info:build make[1]: *** [macvim] Error 65

        I've been building MacVim here locally, from git, for awhile now. I
        haven't had much in the way of issues, but I can confirm that with Xcode
        4.2, my normal build process fails. I'm not quite sure where your
        above error messages are occuring, but here's what I got:

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
          On 14 October 2011 16:26, Tim Gray wrote:
          > On Oct 13, 2011 at 02:47 PM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
          >>
          >> This time I have Xcode 4.2. MacVim did not build.
          >> Got these (selected) error messages:
          >> /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -v -E -dM -arch x86_64 -x c -c /dev/null 2>&1
          >>  :info:build Check dependencies
          >>  :info:build Unsupported compiler 'GCC 4.2' selected for architecture
          >> 'x86_64'
          >>  :info:build (1 failure)
          >>  :info:build make[1]: *** [macvim] Error 65
          >
          > I've been building MacVim here locally, from git, for awhile now.  I haven't
          > had much in the way of issues, but I can confirm that with Xcode 4.2, my
          > normal build process fails.  I'm not quite sure where your above error
          > messages are occuring, but here's what I got:

          Building from the repo should work _unless_ you specify the
          --with-macsdk flag is passed to configure, see [1]. You do need the
          very latest commit however.

          Björn

          [1] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/issues/detail?id=375

        • Tim Gray
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
            On Oct 14, 2011 at 07:00 PM +0200, björn wrote:
            >Building from the repo should work _unless_ you specify the
            >--with-macsdk flag is passed to configure, see [1]. You do need the
            >very latest commit however.

            I do have the latest commit (I think). My configure line was:

            ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp \
            --enable-pythoninterp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope

            It's possible I have some cruft left over from some previous tinkering.
            Also, there's no rush for me to get a build working. I previously built
            a post snapshot-61 build and have been using that. I'm sure any build
            issues with Xcode 4.2 will be sorted out soon.

          • Tim Gray
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2011
              On Oct 14, 2011 at 07:00 PM +0200, björn wrote:
              >Building from the repo should work _unless_ you specify the
              >--with-macsdk flag is passed to configure, see [1]. You do need the
              >very latest commit however.

              I spoke too soon. Running `make distclean` and trying to build again
              cleared everything up.