Re: Linking in python

  • Tim Gray
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2011
      On Oct 06, 2011 at 05:20 PM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
      >FYI: Linux 10 years, new to mac.

      I thought the precompiled versions of MacVim had python enabled... odd.
      You clearly don't as can be seen in your version dump. However, you cut
      out the top couple lines, so it's hard to see what version of MacVim you
      are actually running. Here's the top couple lines of vim --version from
      my locally compiled copy:

      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Jul 27 2011 15:33:12)
      > MacOS X (unix) version
      > Included patches: 1-260
      > Compiled by tgray@...
      > Huge version with MacVim GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

      Source to MacVim is here:
      https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

      You'll have to be comfortable with git and/or github, since at the very
      least you need to navigate the github site to download the tarball of
      the code. I just use git to get updated versions of the source.
      Compiling with the following options seems to work:

      ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp \
      --enable-pythoninterp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope

      Or you can download the precompiled version, which as I said earlier, is
      supposed to have python support built in. I actually think the binaries
      are made with the above options. Maybe it doesn't anymore. To download
      the latest snapshot, go here:
      https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/downloads

      You probably want Snapshot 62. Make sure you get the OS X 10.7 one, not
      the legacy one.

    • David Sanson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2011
        As Tim says, I think the official MacVim precompiled versions include python support.

        Did you install from MacPorts? I only ask because of the

        fall-back for $VIM: "/opt/local/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"

        If you are using MacPorts, you might look at the portfile. It appears to define a variant that enables python.

        I have had no trouble building MacVim (with python support) using the homebrew package manager [1]. To build from the latest snapshot:

            brew install macvim

        or, to build from the most recent commit:

            brew install --HEAD macvim

        David

        [1]: http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

      • Tim Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2011
          * David Sanson <dsanson@...> [111007 07:10]:
          > As Tim says, I think the official MacVim precompiled versions include python
          > support.
          >
          > Did you install from MacPorts? I only ask because of the
          >
          > > fall-back for $VIM: "/opt/local/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"

          > If you are using MacPorts, you might look at the portfile. It appears to
          Yes, I did use MacPorts.
          > define a variant that enables python.

          variant? duh! Then is there a command-line option to include a
          variant? Let me know, but I sure I can find out.

          thanks folks

          --
          Tim
          http://www.akwebsoft.com