Getting E523: Not allowed here

  • philipx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2011
      This may not be very useful since I don't really know what *exactly* I
      did, but here it goes.
      It happened while the complete list was opened - I don't know exactly
      what combination I pressed but I think among others I pressed Ctrl-
      Space (which on my machine invoke the Spotlight search and is not
      mapped in MacVim).
      The result was MacVim seemingly switching out of insert mode, yet the
      complete menu remained open. If I try to go back into insert mode (i
      or a) I get a "E523: Not allowed here" and it stays in normal mode.
      Other keys that land you in insert mode perform their normal part but
      fail switching to insert with the same error message: for example C
      deletes to the end of the line but doesn't switch into insert mode.

      My status line has disappeared as well - there's still a line where it
      used to be, but no text. All windows (in tabs or split windows) of the
      same server are affected. I have a separate server (a separate
      document window in OS X parlance) and that one doesn't exhibit this
      behavior. I happened twice now and the only way I know to get back to
      working is to close that MacVim server and start anew.

      I'm running 7.3.260 snapshot 61 on 10.7.1.
      Is there anything I can do to further troubleshoot this if it happens
      again?

      Thanks.