Re: Text Shadows

  • Jason Moiron
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2011
      Sure.

      The patch is here: (I should really set up an hg mirror, I'm thinking
      more and more I want to make this a bit less ugly than some compile-
      time always-on hack)

      http://dev.jmoiron.net/vim-shadow.patch

      Here are some assorted screenshots:

      http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shadow.png
      http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shadow2.png
      http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shad-dark.png
      http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shad-light.png

      It doesn't look all that hot on light backgrounds; I think either my
      darkening algorithm is a little too severe. I worked in a catch for
      fairly bright colors, but it's got all sorts of caveats (anything very
      red will be considered "bright"). Still, once rendering the effect is
      possible, determining the right shadow color is probably a less
      difficult issue.

      -- Jason

      On Sep 9, 5:22 pm, Janusz Bossy <janusz.bo...@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Jason Moiron <jlmoi...@...> wrote:
      > > I've recently written a hacky little patch for vim gtk+x11 which will
      > > draw faux shadows under text.  I quite like the look of this, and
      > > wanted to get this going on my OSX laptop as well.
      >
      > Hi Jason,
      >
      > unfortunately I can't help you with your problem but I just wanted to
      > see how the effect looks on your linux machine. Can you point me to
      > the patch or just upload a couple of screenshots?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Janusz

    • Jason Moiron
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2011
        I've updated the patch to have a better darkening algorithm based on
        hsv color coordinates. I'd still appreciate if anyone has any
        pointers on how to achieve this effect in MacVim.

        Thanks!

        -- Jason

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2011
          On 11 September 2011 22:23, Jason Moiron wrote:
          > I've updated the patch to have a better darkening algorithm based on
          > hsv color coordinates.  I'd still appreciate if anyone has any
          > pointers on how to achieve this effect in MacVim.

          I think what you are trying to achieve will be much easier if you
          enable the experimental renderer (in the advanced preferences) and
          then patch MMCoreTextView instead of trying to patch MMTextView.

          Note that I am not really interested in adding text shadow support so
          even if you do get around to writing this patch it is very unlikely
          that I will ever merge it with mainline. Sorry.

        • Jason Moiron
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2011
            On Sep 12, 1:45 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
            > On 11 September 2011 22:23, Jason Moiron wrote:
            >
            > > I've updated the patch to have a better darkening algorithm based on
            > > hsv color coordinates.  I'd still appreciate if anyone has any
            > > pointers on how to achieve this effect in MacVim.
            >
            > I think what you are trying to achieve will be much easier if you
            > enable the experimental renderer (in the advanced preferences) and
            > then patch MMCoreTextView instead of trying to patch MMTextView.
            >
            > Note that I am not really interested in adding text shadow support so
            > even if you do get around to writing this patch it is very unlikely
            > that I will ever merge it with mainline.  Sorry.
            >
            > Björn

            Thank's very much Björn! Without your pointers, I was lost!

            Since this is for my own personal use, the patch is extremely rough
            and simply enables the drawing of these faux text shadows everywhere
            in exactly the same manner of the linux patch I've linked above. If
            anyone else is interested, it can be viewed here:

            https://github.com/jmoiron/macvim/commit/3f609d05ff517d3988f1a0774c6afefd8ba9521b

            -- Jason