Problem building MacVim when default perl is 5.14.1

  • Nikola Knežević
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2011

      I changed the default version of perl on my Snow Leopard to be 5.14.1, using perlbrew. Now, when I build MacVim, make dies at:
      /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/bin/perl -e 'unless ( $] >= 5.005 ) { for (qw(na defgv errgv)) { print "#define PL_$_ $_\n" }}' > auto/if_perl.c
      /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/bin/perl /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/lib/5.14.1/ExtUtils/xsubpp -prototypes -typemap \
      /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/lib/5.14.1/ExtUtils/typemap if_perl.xs >> auto/if_perl.c
      Undefined subroutine &ExtUtils::ParseXS::errors called at /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/lib/5.14.1/ExtUtils/xsubpp line 41.

      However, I found that if I call site_lib version of xsubpp, everything is ok. site_lib version is at:
      /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/lib/site_perl/5.14.1/ExtUtils/xsubpp

      This patch solves my problem, and also reverts to using PERLLIB if PERLSITELIB/ExtUtils/xsubpp doesn't exist. If you find any value in it, let me know.

      Cheers,
      Nikola

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2011
        2011/9/8 Nikola Knežević:

        > However, I found that if I call site_lib version of xsubpp, everything is ok. site_lib version is at:
        > /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/lib/site_perl/5.14.1/ExtUtils/xsubpp
        >
        > This patch solves my problem, and also reverts to using PERLLIB if PERLSITELIB/ExtUtils/xsubpp doesn't exist. If you find any value in it, let me know.

        Thanks for the patch.

        So, if I build against the default Perl version this patch has no
        effect? If it doesn't have any negative side effects for people
        without a custom Perl, then I don't mind merging it.

      • Nikola Knežević
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2011
          On 12 Sep 2011, at 19:39 , björn wrote:

          > 2011/9/8 Nikola Knežević:
          >>
          >> However, I found that if I call site_lib version of xsubpp, everything is ok. site_lib version is at:
          >> /usr/local/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.14.1/lib/site_perl/5.14.1/ExtUtils/xsubpp
          >>
          >> This patch solves my problem, and also reverts to using PERLLIB if PERLSITELIB/ExtUtils/xsubpp doesn't exist. If you find any value in it, let me know.
          >
          > Thanks for the patch.
          >
          > So, if I build against the default Perl version this patch has no
          > effect? If it doesn't have any negative side effects for people
          > without a custom Perl, then I don't mind merging it.

          Sorry, I was away...

          Yes, if you build it against the default version of the patch, MacVim should work as it worked so far.

          Best,
          Nikola