Re: Plugin Help

  • Janusz Bossy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
      2011/8/21 Niklas Lindström <lindstream@...>:
      > Hi!
      >
      > On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:10 AM, silverskymedia <nate@...> wrote:
      >> I have seen many tutorials and posts about how to install plugins for
      >> macvim, but I am confused. They all talk about a ~/.vim/plugin
      >> directory. The issue is, that directory doesn't exist for me. Do I
      >> create it, or what do I do? Thanks for the help. I'm running OS X Lion.
      >
      > Yes, create it if it doesn't exist. The "$HOME/.vim" folder is for all
      > kinds of local (user) extensions, such as plugins, colorschemes etc.
      > It is not specific for MacVim, but a general Vim mechanism (and works
      > the same across all platforms). So in your case, create
      > "~/.vim/plugin/" and put any vim script plugin you'd like there.
      >
      > You'll need to start a new Vim instance (Cmd-N for MacVim) for the
      > plugin to be executed automatically. You can also run it manually by
      > doing:
      >
      >    :source ~/.vim/plugin/<name-of-plugin>.vim

      Hi Nate,

      please also take a look at a plugin called pathogen - it allows you to
      keep all your plugins in ~/.vim/bundle/<plugin_name>. It's a great way
      to keep your plugins organized and it makes uninstalling a lot easier.

      /Janusz

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
        silverskymedia wrote:
        > I have seen many tutorials and posts about how to install plugins for
        > macvim, but I am confused. They all talk about a ~/.vim/plugin
        > directory. The issue is, that directory doesn't exist for me. Do I
        > create it, or what do I do? Thanks for the help. I'm running OS X Lion.

        If the plugin had been in vimball format, it would have created the
        directories ~/.vim and ~/.vim/plugin since you needed it without further
        bother.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell