Re: Plugin Help

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
      Hi!

      On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:10 AM, silverskymedia <nate@...> wrote:
      > I have seen many tutorials and posts about how to install plugins for
      > macvim, but I am confused. They all talk about a ~/.vim/plugin
      > directory. The issue is, that directory doesn't exist for me. Do I
      > create it, or what do I do? Thanks for the help. I'm running OS X Lion.

      Yes, create it if it doesn't exist. The "$HOME/.vim" folder is for all
      kinds of local (user) extensions, such as plugins, colorschemes etc.
      It is not specific for MacVim, but a general Vim mechanism (and works
      the same across all platforms). So in your case, create
      "~/.vim/plugin/" and put any vim script plugin you'd like there.

      You'll need to start a new Vim instance (Cmd-N for MacVim) for the
      plugin to be executed automatically. You can also run it manually by
      doing:

      :source ~/.vim/plugin/<name-of-plugin>.vim

      Best regards,
      Niklas

    • Janusz Bossy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
        2011/8/21 Niklas Lindström <lindstream@...>:
        > Hi!
        >
        > On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:10 AM, silverskymedia <nate@...> wrote:
        >> I have seen many tutorials and posts about how to install plugins for
        >> macvim, but I am confused. They all talk about a ~/.vim/plugin
        >> directory. The issue is, that directory doesn't exist for me. Do I
        >> create it, or what do I do? Thanks for the help. I'm running OS X Lion.
        >
        > Yes, create it if it doesn't exist. The "$HOME/.vim" folder is for all
        > kinds of local (user) extensions, such as plugins, colorschemes etc.
        > It is not specific for MacVim, but a general Vim mechanism (and works
        > the same across all platforms). So in your case, create
        > "~/.vim/plugin/" and put any vim script plugin you'd like there.
        >
        > You'll need to start a new Vim instance (Cmd-N for MacVim) for the
        > plugin to be executed automatically. You can also run it manually by
        > doing:
        >
        >    :source ~/.vim/plugin/<name-of-plugin>.vim

        Hi Nate,

        please also take a look at a plugin called pathogen - it allows you to
        keep all your plugins in ~/.vim/bundle/<plugin_name>. It's a great way
        to keep your plugins organized and it makes uninstalling a lot easier.

        /Janusz

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
          silverskymedia wrote:
          > I have seen many tutorials and posts about how to install plugins for
          > macvim, but I am confused. They all talk about a ~/.vim/plugin
          > directory. The issue is, that directory doesn't exist for me. Do I
          > create it, or what do I do? Thanks for the help. I'm running OS X Lion.

          If the plugin had been in vimball format, it would have created the
          directories ~/.vim and ~/.vim/plugin since you needed it without further
          bother.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell