Is it possible to start MacVim without GUI, but as server?

  • fahne
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2011
      Hallo Everybody,

      I've started MacVim like this: `mvim -v --servername SERVER
      some_file`. But after this when I call `mvim --serverlist` the server
      won't show and I can't open Files like this: `mvim --servername SERVER
      --remote some_other_file`. Is this a Bug, or is this feature not
      implemented/possible?

      My System: MacOS X 10.7.1, iTerm2 1.0.0.20110810, MacVim 7.3.106, zsh
      4.3.11

      Regards
      Jens

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2011
        On 20 August 2011 12:15, fahne wrote:

        > I've started MacVim like this: `mvim -v --servername SERVER
        > some_file`. But after this when I call `mvim --serverlist` the server
        > won't show and I can't open Files like this: `mvim --servername SERVER
        > --remote some_other_file`. Is this a Bug, or is this feature  not
        > implemented/possible?

        The client/server feature uses the GUI to provide server lists, and
        you also need to start the GUI to become a server. A non-GUI Vim can
        only be a client. See ":h macvim-clientserver".

        It would certainly be _possible_ to implement this differently, but
        its not something I'm particularly interested in doing so this will
        only happen if somebody else sends me a patch (it won't be trivial to
        implement).