Re: Feature Request: "Auto Save and Versions"

  • Jonathan Buys
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 5, 2011

      On Aug 5, 2011, at 4:29 PM, björn wrote:

      All that being said, I personally would think it was neat if MacVim
      did support Versions and Auto Save.  I'd probably have it turned on
      all the time, except for when I was programming.

      I do too. I might leave it on all the time. To me, the conversation about new features in Lion should probably be addressed individually.

      Auto-Save: The ability to forget about needing to <esc>:w!  Although I doubt there are many on this list who ever could. The cocoa framework automatically saves changes to the file in the background, while you work. If you need to revert back to a previous save, you have the option of using cocoa's Versions, but I wonder if there is a faster way to get to the previous saves?

      Versions: The groovy 3D time machine like interface to browse past saves of the currently open file. Obviously, there are more efficient and powerful ways to version a file, but it's still cool. Its cool in the same way that Time Machine makes backing up your hard drive accessible and easy to people who would otherwise have never given it a thought.

      Sudden Termination: MacVim already gives you the option to do this, thats how I have mine setup. If there is not a currently open file in a window, MacVim quits. Cocoa now gives you the option to let the OS kill the app for you, if it feels like it needs the RAM and sees that the app is not doing anything.

      Resume:  Lion will also attempt to restart applications and have them resume exactly where they were after a reboot or logging out. It is a different way of thinking about the computer, and one that I think many people will become accustomed to fairly quickly.

      These four features work together to form a different mental model of working with files and applications on the Mac. It is going to take some time before all applications support the new model, but eventually there will be a divide between those that do, and those that do not. Those that do not will start to feel out of place.

      However, MacVim is kind of a special application, so the question of if it should support this modal of interaction should be answered in time. Eventually, if the modal succeeds the way Apple wants it to, we will all become so used to not thinking about saving files or quitting applications that the necessity to do so in MacVim will become an obvious detriment. For now, it is all so new that we might all be better served by waiting it out and seeing which way the wind blows.

      Till then, I sure love MacVim. Thanks Björn.

      Jon

    • Dominik Gehl
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 12, 2011
        I believe in fact that 'resume' will be a very nice feature to have.
        Just imagine how cool it'll be to open MacVim and have it display
        exactly the same last files you had opened before closing it ! Now
        that'll speed things up in the morning ;-) !

        Dominik

        On Aug 5, 11:27 pm, Jonathan Buys <jonb...@...> wrote:
        > On Aug 5, 2011, at 4:29 PM, björn wrote:
        >
        > > All that being said, I personally would think it was neat if MacVim
        > > did support Versions and Auto Save.  I'd probably have it turned on
        > > all the time, except for when I was programming.
        >
        > I do too. I might leave it on all the time. To me, the conversation about new features in Lion should probably be addressed individually.
        >
        > Auto-Save: The ability to forget about needing to <esc>:w!  Although I doubt there are many on this list who ever could. The cocoa framework automatically saves changes to the file in the background, while you work. If you need to revert back to a previous save, you have the option of using cocoa's Versions, but I wonder if there is a faster way to get to the previous saves?
        >
        > Versions: The groovy 3D time machine like interface to browse past saves of the currently open file. Obviously, there are more efficient and powerful ways to version a file, but it's still cool. Its cool in the same way that Time Machine makes backing up your hard drive accessible and easy to people who would otherwise have never given it a thought.
        >
        > Sudden Termination: MacVim already gives you the option to do this, thats how I have mine setup. If there is not a currently open file in a window, MacVim quits. Cocoa now gives you the option to let the OS kill the app for you, if it feels like it needs the RAM and sees that the app is not doing anything.
        >
        > Resume:  Lion will also attempt to restart applications and have them resume exactly where they were after a reboot or logging out. It is a different way of thinking about the computer, and one that I think many people will become accustomed to fairly quickly.
        >
        > These four features work together to form a different mental model of working with files and applications on the Mac. It is going to take some time before all applications support the new model, but eventually there will be a divide between those that do, and those that do not. Those that do not will start to feel out of place.
        >
        > However, MacVim is kind of a special application, so the question of if it should support this modal of interaction should be answered in time. Eventually, if the modal succeeds the way Apple wants it to, we will all become so used to not thinking about saving files or quitting applications that the necessity to do so in MacVim will become an obvious detriment. For now, it is all so new that we might all be better served by waiting it out and seeing which way the wind blows.
        >
        > Till then, I sure love MacVim. Thanks Björn.
        >
        > Jon

      • Billy Huang
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2011
          You dont have to wait for update.
          Vim save session plugin...
          It auto save and reload...

          Sent from my Windows Phone From: Dominik Gehl
          Sent: Saturday, 13 August 2011 15:19
          To: vim_mac
          Subject: Re: Feature Request: "Auto Save and Versions"