python 2.7 support

  • Daenney
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5 11:55 AM
      According to what I've picked up vim 7.3+ is built against Python 2.7.

      However, the latest snapshot (61) of MacVim still gives us Python
      2.6.6 which is a shame since Lion ships with 2.7.

      Any chance the build can be updated to reflect those changes?

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6 1:12 PM
        On 5 August 2011 20:55, Daenney wrote:
        > According to what I've picked up vim 7.3+ is built against Python 2.7.
        >
        > However, the latest snapshot (61) of MacVim still gives us Python
        > 2.6.6 which is a shame since Lion ships with 2.7.
        >
        > Any chance the build can be updated to reflect those changes?

        The reason why I link against 2.6 is because I want the snapshot to
        run on Snow Leopard as well. In order to link against 2.7 I would
        have to build one snapshot for Lion and a separate snapshot for Snow
        Leopard. This is a hassle.

        That being said, building snapshot 61 as a Snow Leopard + Lion binary
        was also a pain in the neck. For the next snapshot I will evaluate
        whether building two binaries is actually simpler or not. I can't say
        I'm happy with the current "pick the correct version for your OS"
        download circus that MacVim users have to go through, but I don't have
        the time/energy to do anything about it (and it leads to linking
        issues like the OP mentioned, of course).

      • philipx
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8 5:08 AM
          Björn,

          What if you reached out to people to contribute those builds?
          I got both a Lion and a SL machine - I'd be happy to help.