bug in linewise yy followed by p?

  • Michael DeMoney
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2004

      Have other Mac Vim users noticed an issue with linewise yank/put?

      In particular, after doing a yy and a following p, the put
      isn't line-oriented, but rather occurs character-oriented
      -- i.e. the text is inserted after the cursor character
      rather than the cursor line.

      This is inconsistent with other versions of Vim where the entire
      yanked line is placed as a new line below the line where the
      cursor is positioned. I believe this linewise put behavior is
      called out in the documentation when the yank is linewise.

      Is this a known/acknowledged bug? I didn't see it in the known
      bugs list.

      This occurs in the Mac OS X 10.3 vim6.2.181.tar.bz2 version
      (and all previous versions to my knowledge).

      Thanks,
      Mike
    • Stephen Riehm
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2004
        > In particular, after doing a yy and a following p, the put
        > isn't line-oriented, but rather occurs character-oriented
        > -- i.e. the text is inserted after the cursor character
        > rather than the cursor line.

        I just tried this with 6.181 and it worked fine. How did you
        notice the difference? All I did was do yyp with the cursor
        in the middle of the line. I also tried doing the p in the
        middle of a different line, but got the expected result (ie:
        a line-wise put)

        Do you have an exact test (ie: test file and instructions on
        what you do to produce the bug?)

        Steve
      • Michael DeMoney
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2004
          Stephen Riehm wrote:

          >> In particular, after doing a yy and a following p, the put
          >> isn't line-oriented, but rather occurs character-oriented
          >> -- i.e. the text is inserted after the cursor character
          >> rather than the cursor line.
          >

          > I just tried this with 6.181 and it worked fine. How did you
          > notice the difference? All I did was do yyp with the cursor
          > in the middle of the line. I also tried doing the p in the
          > middle of a different line, but got the expected result (ie:
          > a line-wise put)
          >
          > Do you have an exact test (ie: test file and instructions on
          > what you do to produce the bug?)
          >
          > Steve

          I've tracked it down to having this line in my .vimrc

          set clipboard=unnamed

          Without that line everything works fine; with it, I notice
          the behavior mentioned. The interesting thing is that I
          also have this line in the vimrc on my Unix systems and
          don't have this problem.

          Mike