Re: build failure on Tiger, plus fix

  • dv1445@wayne.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2011
      Wrote björn [08/04/11 @10:49:28 +0200]:
      > On 3 August 2011 23:33, <dv1445@...> wrote:
      > > I don't know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I can no longer
      > > build on Tiger PPC (yes, I know... but I'm stuck with it).
      > >
      > > This happened when Lion branch was merged in, i.e., in commit
      > > 62511ccb3784fe765514.
      > >
      > > I have found a fix, however.  You just need to open up these two files,
      > > found in the cloned repository, in vim:
      > >
      > > src/MacVim/MacVim.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
      > > src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/PSMTabBarControl.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
      > >
      > > In each one, there are a couple of lines (maybe more, I forgot) where
      > > GCC_VERSION is set to 4.2.  Delete each instance of those lines in each
      > > file.  Alternatively, change the value to 4.0 in every instance in both
      > > files.  Whichever method one uses, it seems to then build fine.
      > >
      > > I have no idea if this messes up something else that hasn't manifested
      > > yet.  I have no idea if this is the proper fix either.  The GitHub page
      > > shows that the offending lines in each file are straight additions,
      > > rather than changes from a previous value of 4.0.
      > >
      > > For the record: I am pleased and very grateful that I've been able to
      > > build MacVim on Tiger thus far.  I hope that what I found is a small
      > > bug, easily fixable (perhaps by a switch that detects whether
      > > GCC_VERSION 4.2 is a good idea on one's system?).   It seems, to
      > > non-programmer such as myself, that this was a tiny oversight that got
      > > lost in the shuffle, and probably affects everyone not using XCode 4.
      >
      > Thanks for reporting on how to fix the compilation problem on Tiger.
      > (This is the correct fix, by the way.)
      >
      > The problem was that on Lion Xcode defaults to using clang when
      > compiling the MacVim binary which caused problems because Vim compiles
      > using gcc (more specifically, Distributed Objects did not like this).
      > Thus I was forced to go into the Xcode settings and change to use gcc
      > but apparently this also selects the specific version of gcc, which is
      > no good.
      >
      > For now I will let this be. If anybody knows how to tell Xcode to use
      > the latest gcc version instead of forcing the version to 4.2, please
      > let me know and I'll fix this.

      I certainly don't know how to do that. But in the meantime, for anyone
      else with this issue, here is a short bash script that you can put in
      your cloned repository root and run it before doing ./configure. You
      only have to run it once per pull. The script merely comments out the
      "offending" lines, though one could also replace 4.2 with "", or leave a
      totally blank line, or destroy the whole line.

      #! /bin/bash

      sed -i -e "s/\(GCC_VERSION = 4.2\;\)/\/\* \1 \*\//" src/MacVim/MacVim.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj

      sed -i -e "s/\(GCC_VERSION = 4.2\;\)/\/\* \1 \*\//" src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/PSMTabBarControl.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj

      ##

      Cheers,
      -gmn