build failure on Tiger, plus fix

  • dv1445@wayne.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2011
      I don't know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I can no longer
      build on Tiger PPC (yes, I know... but I'm stuck with it).

      This happened when Lion branch was merged in, i.e., in commit
      62511ccb3784fe765514.

      I have found a fix, however. You just need to open up these two files,
      found in the cloned repository, in vim:

      src/MacVim/MacVim.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
      src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/PSMTabBarControl.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj

      In each one, there are a couple of lines (maybe more, I forgot) where
      GCC_VERSION is set to 4.2. Delete each instance of those lines in each
      file. Alternatively, change the value to 4.0 in every instance in both
      files. Whichever method one uses, it seems to then build fine.

      I have no idea if this messes up something else that hasn't manifested
      yet. I have no idea if this is the proper fix either. The GitHub page
      shows that the offending lines in each file are straight additions,
      rather than changes from a previous value of 4.0.

      For the record: I am pleased and very grateful that I've been able to
      build MacVim on Tiger thus far. I hope that what I found is a small
      bug, easily fixable (perhaps by a switch that detects whether
      GCC_VERSION 4.2 is a good idea on one's system?). It seems, to
      non-programmer such as myself, that this was a tiny oversight that got
      lost in the shuffle, and probably affects everyone not using XCode 4.

      Cheers,
      gmn

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2011
        On 3 August 2011 23:33, <dv1445@...> wrote:
        > I don't know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I can no longer
        > build on Tiger PPC (yes, I know... but I'm stuck with it).
        >
        > This happened when Lion branch was merged in, i.e., in commit
        > 62511ccb3784fe765514.
        >
        > I have found a fix, however.  You just need to open up these two files,
        > found in the cloned repository, in vim:
        >
        > src/MacVim/MacVim.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
        > src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/PSMTabBarControl.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
        >
        > In each one, there are a couple of lines (maybe more, I forgot) where
        > GCC_VERSION is set to 4.2.  Delete each instance of those lines in each
        > file.  Alternatively, change the value to 4.0 in every instance in both
        > files.  Whichever method one uses, it seems to then build fine.
        >
        > I have no idea if this messes up something else that hasn't manifested
        > yet.  I have no idea if this is the proper fix either.  The GitHub page
        > shows that the offending lines in each file are straight additions,
        > rather than changes from a previous value of 4.0.
        >
        > For the record: I am pleased and very grateful that I've been able to
        > build MacVim on Tiger thus far.  I hope that what I found is a small
        > bug, easily fixable (perhaps by a switch that detects whether
        > GCC_VERSION 4.2 is a good idea on one's system?).   It seems, to
        > non-programmer such as myself, that this was a tiny oversight that got
        > lost in the shuffle, and probably affects everyone not using XCode 4.

        Thanks for reporting on how to fix the compilation problem on Tiger.
        (This is the correct fix, by the way.)

        The problem was that on Lion Xcode defaults to using clang when
        compiling the MacVim binary which caused problems because Vim compiles
        using gcc (more specifically, Distributed Objects did not like this).
        Thus I was forced to go into the Xcode settings and change to use gcc
        but apparently this also selects the specific version of gcc, which is
        no good.

        For now I will let this be. If anybody knows how to tell Xcode to use
        the latest gcc version instead of forcing the version to 4.2, please
        let me know and I'll fix this.

      • dv1445@wayne.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2011
          Wrote björn [08/04/11 @10:49:28 +0200]:
          > On 3 August 2011 23:33, <dv1445@...> wrote:
          > > I don't know if this is a bug or intended behavior, but I can no longer
          > > build on Tiger PPC (yes, I know... but I'm stuck with it).
          > >
          > > This happened when Lion branch was merged in, i.e., in commit
          > > 62511ccb3784fe765514.
          > >
          > > I have found a fix, however.  You just need to open up these two files,
          > > found in the cloned repository, in vim:
          > >
          > > src/MacVim/MacVim.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
          > > src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/PSMTabBarControl.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
          > >
          > > In each one, there are a couple of lines (maybe more, I forgot) where
          > > GCC_VERSION is set to 4.2.  Delete each instance of those lines in each
          > > file.  Alternatively, change the value to 4.0 in every instance in both
          > > files.  Whichever method one uses, it seems to then build fine.
          > >
          > > I have no idea if this messes up something else that hasn't manifested
          > > yet.  I have no idea if this is the proper fix either.  The GitHub page
          > > shows that the offending lines in each file are straight additions,
          > > rather than changes from a previous value of 4.0.
          > >
          > > For the record: I am pleased and very grateful that I've been able to
          > > build MacVim on Tiger thus far.  I hope that what I found is a small
          > > bug, easily fixable (perhaps by a switch that detects whether
          > > GCC_VERSION 4.2 is a good idea on one's system?).   It seems, to
          > > non-programmer such as myself, that this was a tiny oversight that got
          > > lost in the shuffle, and probably affects everyone not using XCode 4.
          >
          > Thanks for reporting on how to fix the compilation problem on Tiger.
          > (This is the correct fix, by the way.)
          >
          > The problem was that on Lion Xcode defaults to using clang when
          > compiling the MacVim binary which caused problems because Vim compiles
          > using gcc (more specifically, Distributed Objects did not like this).
          > Thus I was forced to go into the Xcode settings and change to use gcc
          > but apparently this also selects the specific version of gcc, which is
          > no good.
          >
          > For now I will let this be. If anybody knows how to tell Xcode to use
          > the latest gcc version instead of forcing the version to 4.2, please
          > let me know and I'll fix this.

          I certainly don't know how to do that. But in the meantime, for anyone
          else with this issue, here is a short bash script that you can put in
          your cloned repository root and run it before doing ./configure. You
          only have to run it once per pull. The script merely comments out the
          "offending" lines, though one could also replace 4.2 with "", or leave a
          totally blank line, or destroy the whole line.

          #! /bin/bash

          sed -i -e "s/\(GCC_VERSION = 4.2\;\)/\/\* \1 \*\//" src/MacVim/MacVim.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj

          sed -i -e "s/\(GCC_VERSION = 4.2\;\)/\/\* \1 \*\//" src/MacVim/PSMTabBarControl/PSMTabBarControl.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj

          ##

          Cheers,
          -gmn