Re: This is not just a list for MacVim

  • Dave Land
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
      Friends,

      It's really quite simple:

      Vim > Vim on Mac > MacVim

      If you have a question about MacVim, it should be welcome here. MacVim is *one* version of Vim on Mac.

      If you have a question about making (any flavor of) Vim work on a Mac, that's precisely the purpose of this list.

      If you have a generic question about Vim, it may be better answered elsewhere.

      Let's be kind to one another.

      Dave

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011
        On Aug 1, 6:43 pm, Christopher Stone <ccstone1...@...> wrote:
        > On Aug 01, 2011, at 11:17, dv1...@... wrote:
        >
        > > In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.

        > vim-...@...
        > Purpose This list is for discussing the use and development of Vim on the Mac OS.
        > Comments        This is for Mac-specific questions about using, compiling and coding. Generic use questions should stick to v...@..., above.

        Exactly. But if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a
        nail, right? If you've only ever used Macs, how do you know that your
        particular question applies also to Windows and/or Linux and/or ...?
        Sometimes you'll have to guess, and sometimes you'll guess wrong; /
        c'est la vie/.

        No need to get excited because a generic question was asked on
        vim_mac, or conversely because a mac-specific question was asked on
        vim_use. Just answer as best you can, and, like Björn said, add:
        "You'll perhaps get a more detailed answer on that other list."