Re: This is not just a list for MacVim

  • Björn Winckler
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
      On Aug 1, 2011, at 18:23 , Mark Szymanski wrote:

      > MacVim is an app, which is what this mailing list is based off of, right? Last time I checked, MacVim != vim on Mac. With that logic, people might as well ask questions here about vim on Linux because there is very little difference between vim on Mac and on Linux.
      >
      > On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:17 AM, dv1445 wrote:
      >
      >> In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.
      >>
      >> This is not just a list for MacVim. This is a list for using vim on a Mac, that is, for questions about vim having specifically to do with the Mac. This includes, but is not limited to, questions about MacVim.
      >>
      >> In particular, using console vim on a mac is fair game as a topic---provided the question has something to do with Mac and not vim in general.
      >>
      >> For instance, while "how do I turn syntax coloring on?" and "how do I execute Python code from within vim?" are not Mac specific and are better directed towards vim_use, it would be perfectly appropriate to ask things like "why am I not getting colors in Terminal.app?", or "how can I use the command-key in a mapping in console vim?", or "is there a way to still build Carbon vim?", or "why am I getting a build failure on my Mac but not on my linux box for vim 7.3.xxx?"
      >>
      >> At least, that's how this list used to run, and I can recall explicit posts to that effect from long ago. I don't think it has changed.

      gmn is correct -- According to vim.org "this list is for discussing the use and development of Vim on the Mac". It is _not_ only about MacVim.app (and as far as I am concerned MacVim == Vim on Mac, even though there are some small differences from other gvim ports).

      If new users are asking questions that do not fit in on this list I still try to answer them as best I can and then tell them ask on vim_use if they find my answer unsatisfactory. I encourage everybody else to do the same. Please be polite.

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
        On 8/1/11 12:23 PM, Mark Szymanski wrote:
        > MacVim is an app, which is what this mailing list is based off of,
        > right? Last time I checked, MacVim != vim on Mac. With that logic,
        > people might as well ask questions here about vim on Linux because
        > there is very little difference between vim on Mac and on Linux.

        per http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        vim-mac@...
        Purpose This list is for discussing the use and development
        of Vim on the Mac OS.
        Comments This is for Mac-specific questions about using,
        compiling and coding. Generic use questions should
        stick to vim@..., above.
        ~

        per http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/about

        Description Mac users and developers list for Vim, the text editor
        ~

        I see no mention in either place about this list being specifically
        about MacVim, though MacVim is certainly covered by all of these
        descriptions.

        It's certainly reasonable to suggest a place that might be more
        productive for asking a question. It seems less reasonable (to me) to be
        unfriendly to people who ask a question that you feel doesn't belong on
        this list. I mean, as long as the questions aren't about emacs. ;-)

        - George

        > On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:17 AM, dv1445@... wrote:
        >
        >> In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the
        >> purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that
        >> questions not about MacVim don't belong here.
        >>
        >> This is not just a list for MacVim. This is a list for using vim
        >> on a Mac, that is, for questions about vim having specifically to
        >> do with the Mac. This includes, but is not limited to, questions
        >> about MacVim.
        >>
        >> In particular, using console vim on a mac is fair game as a
        >> topic---provided the question has something to do with Mac and not
        >> vim in general.
        >>
        >> For instance, while "how do I turn syntax coloring on?" and "how do
        >> I execute Python code from within vim?" are not Mac specific and
        >> are better directed towards vim_use, it would be perfectly
        >> appropriate to ask things like "why am I not getting colors in
        >> Terminal.app?", or "how can I use the command-key in a mapping in
        >> console vim?", or "is there a way to still build Carbon vim?", or
        >> "why am I getting a build failure on my Mac but not on my linux box
        >> for vim 7.3.xxx?"
        >>
        >> At least, that's how this list used to run, and I can recall
        >> explicit posts to that effect from long ago. I don't think it has
        >> changed.
        >>
        >> -gmn

      • Dave Land
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
          Friends,

          It's really quite simple:

          Vim > Vim on Mac > MacVim

          If you have a question about MacVim, it should be welcome here. MacVim is *one* version of Vim on Mac.

          If you have a question about making (any flavor of) Vim work on a Mac, that's precisely the purpose of this list.

          If you have a generic question about Vim, it may be better answered elsewhere.

          Let's be kind to one another.

          Dave

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011
            On Aug 1, 6:43 pm, Christopher Stone <ccstone1...@...> wrote:
            > On Aug 01, 2011, at 11:17, dv1...@... wrote:
            >
            > > In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.

            > vim-...@...
            > Purpose This list is for discussing the use and development of Vim on the Mac OS.
            > Comments        This is for Mac-specific questions about using, compiling and coding. Generic use questions should stick to v...@..., above.

            Exactly. But if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a
            nail, right? If you've only ever used Macs, how do you know that your
            particular question applies also to Windows and/or Linux and/or ...?
            Sometimes you'll have to guess, and sometimes you'll guess wrong; /
            c'est la vie/.

            No need to get excited because a generic question was asked on
            vim_mac, or conversely because a mac-specific question was asked on
            vim_use. Just answer as best you can, and, like Björn said, add:
            "You'll perhaps get a more detailed answer on that other list."