This is not just a list for MacVim

  • dv1445@wayne.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
      In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.

      This is not just a list for MacVim. This is a list for using vim on a Mac, that is, for questions about vim having specifically to do with the Mac. This includes, but is not limited to, questions about MacVim.

      In particular, using console vim on a mac is fair game as a topic---provided the question has something to do with Mac and not vim in general.

      For instance, while "how do I turn syntax coloring on?" and "how do I execute Python code from within vim?" are not Mac specific and are better directed towards vim_use, it would be perfectly appropriate to ask things like "why am I not getting colors in Terminal.app?", or "how can I use the command-key in a mapping in console vim?", or "is there a way to still build Carbon vim?", or "why am I getting a build failure on my Mac but not on my linux box for vim 7.3.xxx?"

      At least, that's how this list used to run, and I can recall explicit posts to that effect from long ago. I don't think it has changed.

      -gmn

    • Mark Szymanski
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
        MacVim is an app, which is what this mailing list is based off of, right? Last time I checked, MacVim != vim on Mac. With that logic, people might as well ask questions here about vim on Linux because there is very little difference between vim on Mac and on Linux.

        On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:17 AM, dv1445@... wrote:

        > In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.
        >
        > This is not just a list for MacVim. This is a list for using vim on a Mac, that is, for questions about vim having specifically to do with the Mac. This includes, but is not limited to, questions about MacVim.
        >
        > In particular, using console vim on a mac is fair game as a topic---provided the question has something to do with Mac and not vim in general.
        >
        > For instance, while "how do I turn syntax coloring on?" and "how do I execute Python code from within vim?" are not Mac specific and are better directed towards vim_use, it would be perfectly appropriate to ask things like "why am I not getting colors in Terminal.app?", or "how can I use the command-key in a mapping in console vim?", or "is there a way to still build Carbon vim?", or "why am I getting a build failure on my Mac but not on my linux box for vim 7.3.xxx?"
        >
        > At least, that's how this list used to run, and I can recall explicit posts to that effect from long ago. I don't think it has changed.
        >
        > -gmn
        >

        > --

      • Björn Winckler
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
          On Aug 1, 2011, at 18:23 , Mark Szymanski wrote:

          > MacVim is an app, which is what this mailing list is based off of, right? Last time I checked, MacVim != vim on Mac. With that logic, people might as well ask questions here about vim on Linux because there is very little difference between vim on Mac and on Linux.
          >
          > On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:17 AM, dv1445 wrote:
          >
          >> In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.
          >>
          >> This is not just a list for MacVim. This is a list for using vim on a Mac, that is, for questions about vim having specifically to do with the Mac. This includes, but is not limited to, questions about MacVim.
          >>
          >> In particular, using console vim on a mac is fair game as a topic---provided the question has something to do with Mac and not vim in general.
          >>
          >> For instance, while "how do I turn syntax coloring on?" and "how do I execute Python code from within vim?" are not Mac specific and are better directed towards vim_use, it would be perfectly appropriate to ask things like "why am I not getting colors in Terminal.app?", or "how can I use the command-key in a mapping in console vim?", or "is there a way to still build Carbon vim?", or "why am I getting a build failure on my Mac but not on my linux box for vim 7.3.xxx?"
          >>
          >> At least, that's how this list used to run, and I can recall explicit posts to that effect from long ago. I don't think it has changed.

          gmn is correct -- According to vim.org "this list is for discussing the use and development of Vim on the Mac". It is _not_ only about MacVim.app (and as far as I am concerned MacVim == Vim on Mac, even though there are some small differences from other gvim ports).

          If new users are asking questions that do not fit in on this list I still try to answer them as best I can and then tell them ask on vim_use if they find my answer unsatisfactory. I encourage everybody else to do the same. Please be polite.

        • Christopher Stone
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
            On Aug 01, 2011, at 11:17, dv1445@... wrote:
            In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.

            vim-mac@...
            PurposeThis list is for discussing the use and development of Vim on the Mac OS.
            CommentsThis is for Mac-specific questions about using, compiling and coding. Generic use questions should stick to vim@..., above.

            --
            Best Regards,
            Chris

          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011

              per http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

              vim-mac@...
              Purpose This list is for discussing the use and development
              of Vim on the Mac OS.
              Comments This is for Mac-specific questions about using,
              compiling and coding. Generic use questions should
              stick to vim@..., above.
              ~

              per http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/about

              Description Mac users and developers list for Vim, the text editor
              ~

              I see no mention in either place about this list being specifically
              about MacVim, though MacVim is certainly covered by all of these
              descriptions.

              It's certainly reasonable to suggest a place that might be more
              productive for asking a question. It seems less reasonable (to me) to be
              unfriendly to people who ask a question that you feel doesn't belong on
              this list. I mean, as long as the questions aren't about emacs. ;-)

              - George

              > On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:17 AM, dv1445@... wrote:
              >
              >> In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the
              >> purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that
              >> questions not about MacVim don't belong here.
              >>
              >> This is not just a list for MacVim. This is a list for using vim
              >> on a Mac, that is, for questions about vim having specifically to
              >> do with the Mac. This includes, but is not limited to, questions
              >> about MacVim.
              >>
              >> In particular, using console vim on a mac is fair game as a
              >> topic---provided the question has something to do with Mac and not
              >> vim in general.
              >>
              >> For instance, while "how do I turn syntax coloring on?" and "how do
              >> I execute Python code from within vim?" are not Mac specific and
              >> are better directed towards vim_use, it would be perfectly
              >> appropriate to ask things like "why am I not getting colors in
              >> Terminal.app?", or "how can I use the command-key in a mapping in
              >> console vim?", or "is there a way to still build Carbon vim?", or
              >> "why am I getting a build failure on my Mac but not on my linux box
              >> for vim 7.3.xxx?"
              >>
              >> At least, that's how this list used to run, and I can recall
              >> explicit posts to that effect from long ago. I don't think it has
              >> changed.
              >>
              >> -gmn

            • Dave Land
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2011
                Friends,

                It's really quite simple:

                Vim > Vim on Mac > MacVim

                If you have a question about MacVim, it should be welcome here. MacVim is *one* version of Vim on Mac.

                If you have a question about making (any flavor of) Vim work on a Mac, that's precisely the purpose of this list.

                If you have a generic question about Vim, it may be better answered elsewhere.

                Let's be kind to one another.

                Dave

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2011
                  On Aug 1, 6:43 pm, Christopher Stone <ccstone1...@...> wrote:
                  > On Aug 01, 2011, at 11:17, dv1...@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > In the last couple of days I've seen false information about the purpose of this list floating around, particularly the claim that questions not about MacVim don't belong here.

                  > vim-...@...
                  > Purpose This list is for discussing the use and development of Vim on the Mac OS.
                  > Comments        This is for Mac-specific questions about using, compiling and coding. Generic use questions should stick to v...@..., above.

                  Exactly. But if your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a
                  nail, right? If you've only ever used Macs, how do you know that your
                  particular question applies also to Windows and/or Linux and/or ...?
                  Sometimes you'll have to guess, and sometimes you'll guess wrong; /
                  c'est la vie/.

                  No need to get excited because a generic question was asked on
                  vim_mac, or conversely because a mac-specific question was asked on
                  vim_use. Just answer as best you can, and, like Björn said, add:
                  "You'll perhaps get a more detailed answer on that other list."