Re: Presenting 'vim' error messages

  • Björn Winckler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2011
      On Jul 22, 2011, at 07:29 , Peter Palmreuther wrote:

      > taking Erics mail one could see that, especially for those not very used to command line 'vim', some errors are presented in a way that, in first place, hides them. Namely in "Konsole.app", i.e. Mac OS captures them from STDERR to system log and the user needs to know he's supposed to open "Konsole.app" to actually see them.
      >
      > Albeit this is not wrong, maybe there's some room for improvement.
      >
      > What I'm questioning myself is: would it be not only possible, but maybe even a good idea, to capture the output of STDERR of 'vim' startup and present it to the user?
      > I mean, if I start 'vim' in a terminal I'm presented with STDERR messages directly. But if MacVim starts 'vim' as sub process to be able to work, couldn't (and shouldn't?) it than do something similar the terminal does to me: present me error messages that occurred when it tried to "do it's job"?
      >
      > Sure, telling people to just have a look at "Konsole.app" and search for "Vim" or "MacVim" is pretty easy.
      > But as we've seen people don't know when to look there, especially if no hint of "an error occurred during startup" is given.
      >
      > Just my 2 cents, but what is the rest of you thinking?

      Perhaps it could be useful, but not exactly high priority for me at the moment. A similar improvement I've thought about is throwing up a dialog if the Vim process appears to have hung, but again, this is not high priority.

      Exactly what messages (that are useful to present to the user) are we talking about? I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to go through old threads looking for this right now.