vim +perl etc. on OS X

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
      On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:11:47AM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

      > On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:05 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      > >On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:10:34AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >>
      > >>I tried it on 10.2 (still don't have 10.3) and got this error message:
      > >> dyld: Vim can't open library: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
      > >
      > > I would expect this version to have problems on 10.2 because of
      > >the Python libraries, but I suppose this is also a problem. Yes,
      > >10.3 seems to come with libiconv.dylib :
      >
      > Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
      > works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
      > is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).

      Should we move in this direction? That is, should we make the
      binary distribution for OS X as portable as possible? It would be
      simpler to have two versions (one huge, including the python, perl, ...
      libraries that it uses, one with no support for python, perl, etc.) than
      to have one version for 10.1, one for 10.2, one for 10.3, ...

      When trying to compile with +perl, configure complains that it will
      not use a threaded version of perl. (This is on 10.3.) My guess is
      that including the perl libraries is the only way to distribute a
      version of Vim.app that works with perl on 10.3.

      Can anyone give me instructions?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Bob Ippolito
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
        On Jan 14, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:11:47AM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

        >>> I would expect this version to have problems on 10.2 because of
        >>> the Python libraries, but I suppose this is also a problem. Yes,
        >>> 10.3 seems to come with libiconv.dylib :
        >>
        >> Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
        >> works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
        >> is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).
        >
        > Should we move in this direction? That is, should we make the
        > binary distribution for OS X as portable as possible? It would be
        > simpler to have two versions (one huge, including the python, perl, ...
        > libraries that it uses, one with no support for python, perl, etc.)
        > than
        > to have one version for 10.1, one for 10.2, one for 10.3, ...

        I think that this route is good for Mac OS users, to embed the
        scripting languages. It wouldn't be quite as problematic if Apple
        didn't make so many sensible improvements to Darwin every major release
        :) Perhaps there should be 3 releases:
        1) Includes scripting langauges, compatible with 10.1 (10.2 possibly)
        2) No scripting languages, compatible with 10.1
        3) Includes scripting language support, but not the scripting
        languages themselves (latest OS version only, 10.3 right now).

        I would personally pick the 3rd because I keep up with Apple's releases
        and because I know it'll be linked to the latest and greatest (like
        iconv).

        > When trying to compile with +perl, configure complains that it
        > will
        > not use a threaded version of perl. (This is on 10.3.) My guess is
        > that including the perl libraries is the only way to distribute a
        > version of Vim.app that works with perl on 10.3.

        That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
        what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has the
        GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or maybe..
        Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?

        -bob
      • Ken Scott
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
          On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

          > [snip]

          > That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
          > what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has
          > the GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or
          > maybe.. Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?

          If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll try
          building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
          things or not.

          Ken Scott

          --
          <>< Ken Scott ken@... http://hobbes.optikos.net/~ken

          This is the day that the Lord has made;
          Let us rejoice and be glad in it -- Psalm 118:24
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 15, 2004
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > > Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
            > > works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
            > > is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).
            >
            > Should we move in this direction? That is, should we make the
            > binary distribution for OS X as portable as possible? It would be
            > simpler to have two versions (one huge, including the python, perl, ...
            > libraries that it uses, one with no support for python, perl, etc.) than
            > to have one version for 10.1, one for 10.2, one for 10.3, ...

            I asked the MacPython expert about this. His reaction was that it's not
            a good idea to include Python for 10.3. For 10.2 installing a recent
            MacPython version is best.

            It's very likely not possible to make a Vim that runs on both 10.2 and
            10.3, unless we leave out things that are new on 10.3 (e.g., iconv).

            For now, I would think it's best to make a Vim version for 10.2 and one
            for 10.3 in such a way that it doesn't require other installing things.
            I dislike the idea of requiring MacPython version n.m first and
            including it makes the distribution big and may cause new problems.

            It seems that the idea to make one Vim binary for all 10.x versions is
            bound to fail... :-(.

            --
            If I tell you "you have a beautiful body", would you hold it against me?

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
              On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:07:32AM -0700, Ken Scott wrote:

              > On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
              >
              > >[snip]
              >
              > >That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
              > >what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has
              > >the GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or
              > >maybe.. Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?
              > >

              > If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll try
              > building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
              > things or not.

              Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave that
              for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume there is a
              reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?

              --Benji Fisher
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                Benji Fisher wrote:

                > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:07:32AM -0700, Ken Scott wrote:
                > >
                > > On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
                > >
                > > >[snip]
                > >
                > > >That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
                > > >what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has
                > > >the GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or
                > > >maybe.. Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?
                > > >

                > > If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll try
                > > building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
                > > things or not.
                >
                > Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave that
                > for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume there is a
                > reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?

                I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an explicit
                configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason. But perhaps
                it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also possible that
                if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.

                You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
                this below the "eval" command:

                usethreads=undef

                Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.

                --
                "Never be afraid to tell the world who you are."
                -- Anonymous

              • Ken Scott
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                  On Jan 16, 2004, at 6:03 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > Benji Fisher wrote:

                  >>> If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll
                  >>> try
                  >>> building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
                  >>> things or not.
                  >>
                  >> Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave
                  >> that
                  >> for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume there is a
                  >> reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?
                  >
                  > I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an
                  > explicit
                  > configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason. But perhaps
                  > it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also possible that
                  > if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.
                  >
                  > You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
                  > this below the "eval" command:
                  >
                  > usethreads=undef
                  >
                  > Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.

                  I did this; the only warning I saw was a warning for an unused
                  variable. At the end, near the ld steps, I was getting a message that
                  /usr/local/lib does not exist, but I do not think that harmed anything.

                  I ran the Vim.app that was created. It shows +perl, and I am able to
                  run :perl VIM::Msg("This is from Perl in Vim") and get the message
                  displayed. I think this means that the perl interface is working on
                  some very basic level. I do not have the expertise to test this more
                  fully.

                  I am now playing in the auto/configure script to see if the Tcl support
                  can be turned on. It was not finding the includes; I am trying to get
                  the include from /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers to be
                  recognized.

                  Onward and upwards...

                  Ken

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                    Ken Scott wrote:

                    > > Benji Fisher wrote:

                    > >> Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave
                    > >> that for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume
                    > >> there is a reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?
                    > >
                    > > I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an
                    > > explicit configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason.
                    > > But perhaps it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also
                    > > possible that if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.
                    > >
                    > > You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
                    > > this below the "eval" command:
                    > >
                    > > usethreads=undef
                    > >
                    > > Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.
                    >
                    > I did this; the only warning I saw was a warning for an unused
                    > variable. At the end, near the ld steps, I was getting a message that
                    > /usr/local/lib does not exist, but I do not think that harmed anything.
                    >
                    > I ran the Vim.app that was created. It shows +perl, and I am able to
                    > run :perl VIM::Msg("This is from Perl in Vim") and get the message
                    > displayed. I think this means that the perl interface is working on
                    > some very basic level. I do not have the expertise to test this more
                    > fully.
                    >
                    > I am now playing in the auto/configure script to see if the Tcl support
                    > can be turned on. It was not finding the includes; I am trying to get
                    > the include from /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers to be
                    > recognized.
                    >
                    > Onward and upwards...

                    The patch that added the configure check for threads is 6.1.438, made by
                    Aron Griffis. I'll include him in the copy list.

                    Aron, can you tell us how to test that a threaded Perl will break?
                    Could this depend on the Perl version somehow? Perhaps the Perl on Mac
                    OSX 10.3 does work.

                    --
                    Not too long ago, cut and paste was done with scissors and glue...

                  • Aron Griffis
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                      Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Fri Jan 16 2004, 01:56:47PM EST]
                      > The patch that added the configure check for threads is 6.1.438, made by
                      > Aron Griffis. I'll include him in the copy list.

                      Last time I tested this was 6.1.411 with Perl 5.8.0. It blew up with
                      link errors like this:

                      gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/ex_docmd.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o objects/fold.o objects/getchar.o objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/main.o objects/mark.o objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o objects/message.o objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o objects/mbyte.o objects/normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o objects/os_unix.o objects/pathdef.o objects/quickfix.o objects/regexp.o objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/syntax.o objects/tag.o objects/term.o objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/window.o objects/if_perl.o objects/if_perlsfio.o objects/if_python.o objects/py_config.o objects/version.o -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lncurses -lgpm -ldl -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux-thread-multi/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux-thread-multi/CORE -lperl -lpthread -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config -lpython2.2 -ldl -lpthread -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic

                      objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x21): In function `ex_perl':
                      : undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                      objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x33): In function `ex_perl':
                      : undefined reference to `Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr'

                      The full build log is at

                      http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=10073&action=view
                      http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18555

                      It's possible that this works now with threaded Perl. I suppose that if
                      it links it will probably work. I will give it a try and follow up.

                      Aron
                    • Aron Griffis
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                        [snipped to be accepted by the vim-mac ML]

                        I just tested. I have perl-5.8.2 installed and I'm testing 6.2.140
                        (with a workaround to allow threaded perl). I get the following output:

                        gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/ex_docmd.o objects/ex_eval.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o objects/fold.o objects/getchar.o objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/main.o objects/mark.o objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o objects/message.o objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o objects/mbyte.o objects/normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o objects/os_unix.o objects/pathdef.o objects/quickfix.o objects/regexp.o objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/syntax.o objects/tag.o objects/term.o objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/window.o objects/gui.o objects/gui_gtk.o objects/gui_gtk_x11.o objects/pty.o objects/gui_gtk_f.o objects/gui_beval.o objects/if_perl.o objects/if_perlsfio.o objects/netbeans.o objects/version.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lncurses -lgpm -ldl -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux-thread-multi/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux-thread-multi/CORE -lperl -ldl -lutil -lc
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x5c): In function `perl_init':
                        /var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:370: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x66):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:370: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x156): In function `newWINrv':
                        /var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x160):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x199):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1a3):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1cb):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1d5):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1f8):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x202):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x222):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                        objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x22c):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 17, 2004
                          Aron Griffis wrote:

                          > I just tested. I have perl-5.8.2 installed and I'm testing 6.2.140
                          > (with a workaround to allow threaded perl). I get the following output:

                          Juan Fuentes suggested that it should work fine without threads and with
                          the newer thread system, but not with Perl 5.5 threads. Later Perl
                          versions can still be build with the 5.5 threads.

                          I now have the following configure check for Perl threads. Please try
                          this with various versions of Perl.

                          *** ../vim-6.2.181/src/auto/configure Mon Dec 29 21:00:25 2003
                          --- src/auto/configure Sat Jan 17 12:49:31 2004
                          ***************
                          *** 1570,1579 ****

                          if test "X$vi_cv_path_perl" != "X"; then
                          echo $ac_n "checking Perl version""... $ac_c" 1>&6
                          ! echo "configure:1480: checking Perl version" >&5
                          if $vi_cv_path_perl -e 'require 5.003_01' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
                          eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:usethreads`
                          if test "X$usethreads" = "XUNKNOWN" -o "X$usethreads" = "Xundef"; then
                          echo "$ac_t""OK" 1>&6
                          eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:shrpenv`
                          if test "X$shrpenv" = "XUNKNOWN"; then # pre 5.003_04
                          --- 1570,1595 ----

                          if test "X$vi_cv_path_perl" != "X"; then
                          echo $ac_n "checking Perl version""... $ac_c" 1>&6
                          ! echo "configure:1574: checking Perl version" >&5
                          if $vi_cv_path_perl -e 'require 5.003_01' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
                          eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:usethreads`
                          if test "X$usethreads" = "XUNKNOWN" -o "X$usethreads" = "Xundef"; then
                          + badthreads=no
                          + else
                          + if $vi_cv_path_perl -e 'require 5.6.0' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
                          + eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:use5005threads`
                          + if test "X$use5005threads" = "XUNKNOWN" -o "X$use5005threads" = "Xundef"; then
                          + badthreads=no
                          + else
                          + badthreads=yes
                          + echo "$ac_t"">>> Perl > 5.6 with 5.5 threads cannot be used <<<" 1>&6
                          + fi
                          + else
                          + badthreads=yes
                          + echo "$ac_t"">>> Perl 5.5 with threads cannot be used <<<" 1>&6
                          + fi
                          + fi
                          + if test $badthreads = no; then
                          echo "$ac_t""OK" 1>&6
                          eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:shrpenv`
                          if test "X$shrpenv" = "XUNKNOWN"; then # pre 5.003_04
                          ***************
                          *** 1602,1609 ****
                          #define FEAT_PERL 1
                          EOF

                          - else
                          - echo "$ac_t"">>> Perl with threads cannot be used <<<" 1>&6
                          fi
                          else
                          echo "$ac_t"">>> too old; need Perl version 5.003_01 or later <<<" 1>&6
                          --- 1618,1623 ----

                          --
                          FATHER: Who are you?
                          PRINCE: I'm ... your son ...