Re: Establishing filetype for a class of documents

  • David Patrick Henderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2011
      On 16 Jul 2011, at 09:32, Eric Weir wrote:

      > On Jul 16, 2011, at 11:55 AM, David Patrick Henderson wrote:
      >
      >>> Is it possible to associated a class of documents with an established filetype without relying on the extents associated with the filetype. Specifically, I would like to have documents that have no extent recognized as markdown filetype.
      >>
      >> Try this <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5487338/vim-set-filetype-txt-for-every-new-file-no-name> as a solution, substituting markdown for txt where appropriate.
      >
      > As I understand the solution generated there, and I do not fully, the filetype in question would be applied to *all* new files. I don't want that. I want the files created by a particular plugin to be recognized as markdown.
      >
      > Elsewhere I can cause files to be recognized as markdown by appending one of the extents associated with the markdown filetype. I don't have that option with this plugin. There no way to force it to assign one of these extents. If I do so manually and then attempt to open the file in the plugin, it simply creates a new file with the same name but without the extent.

      More specifically, it makes files with no associated filetype as determined by vim be associated with whatever filetype one assigns. It will not affect files with vim associated extensions and filetypes. My reading of your request was that there no associated file extension and you desired to associated those files with markdown. Was that an incorrect interpretation?

      David P Henderson
      c: xxx.xxx.xxxx
      --
      "God was left out of the [US] Constitution but was furnished a front seat on the coins of the country."
      -- Mark Twain