Re: new vim binary for OS X: +transparency +antialias +python

  • Bob Ippolito
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
      On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:05 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:10:34AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >>
      >> Benji Fisher wrote:
      >>
      >>> Thanks to Ken Scott, there is a new binary of Vim.app available
      >>> at
      >>> http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Downloading
      >>> Since it was compiled with Python support, it will probably run only
      >>> on
      >>> OS X 10.3 (Panther), unless you install the Python 2.3 libraries.
      >>
      >> I tried it on 10.2 (still don't have 10.3) and got this error message:
      >>
      >> dyld: Vim can't open library: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
      >>
      >> Is that a new library in 10.3?
      >>
      >> The Mac OS/X support is high on the voting list, thus I should
      >> probably
      >> do some work on it myself...
      >
      > I would expect this version to have problems on 10.2 because of
      > the
      > Python libraries, but I suppose this is also a problem. Yes, 10.3
      > seems
      > to come with libiconv.dylib :

      Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
      works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
      is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).

      > % ls -l /usr/lib/*iconv*
      > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 16 26 Oct 14:25
      > /usr/lib/libiconv.2.2.0.dylib -> libiconv.2.dylib
      > -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 987440 6 Jan 21:18
      > /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
      > lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 20 26 Oct 14:25 /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib
      > -> libiconv.2.2.0.dylib
      > -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 786 12 Sep 16:59 /usr/lib/libiconv.la
      >
      > Should configure be looking for the symlink libiconv.dylib instead of
      > the real library?

      The linker command "-liconv" is going to use /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib,
      so that's probably what you should test for.

      -bob
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
        On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:09:25AM -0600, Emily Jackson wrote:

        > I tried putting "set transparency=235" in my .vimrc, but transparency
        > doesn't take effect; I have to enter the command manually after Vim has
        > started up.

        I can confirm this. The option has been set, but does not seem to
        have any effect. Here is a work-around:

        au VimEnter * set transparency=235

        --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
          On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:11:47AM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

          > On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:05 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          > >On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:10:34AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > >>
          > >>I tried it on 10.2 (still don't have 10.3) and got this error message:
          > >> dyld: Vim can't open library: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
          > >
          > > I would expect this version to have problems on 10.2 because of
          > >the Python libraries, but I suppose this is also a problem. Yes,
          > >10.3 seems to come with libiconv.dylib :
          >
          > Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
          > works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
          > is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).

          Should we move in this direction? That is, should we make the
          binary distribution for OS X as portable as possible? It would be
          simpler to have two versions (one huge, including the python, perl, ...
          libraries that it uses, one with no support for python, perl, etc.) than
          to have one version for 10.1, one for 10.2, one for 10.3, ...

          When trying to compile with +perl, configure complains that it will
          not use a threaded version of perl. (This is on 10.3.) My guess is
          that including the perl libraries is the only way to distribute a
          version of Vim.app that works with perl on 10.3.

          Can anyone give me instructions?

          --Benji Fisher
        • Bob Ippolito
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
            On Jan 14, 2004, at 10:29 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:11:47AM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

            >>> I would expect this version to have problems on 10.2 because of
            >>> the Python libraries, but I suppose this is also a problem. Yes,
            >>> 10.3 seems to come with libiconv.dylib :
            >>
            >> Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
            >> works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
            >> is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).
            >
            > Should we move in this direction? That is, should we make the
            > binary distribution for OS X as portable as possible? It would be
            > simpler to have two versions (one huge, including the python, perl, ...
            > libraries that it uses, one with no support for python, perl, etc.)
            > than
            > to have one version for 10.1, one for 10.2, one for 10.3, ...

            I think that this route is good for Mac OS users, to embed the
            scripting languages. It wouldn't be quite as problematic if Apple
            didn't make so many sensible improvements to Darwin every major release
            :) Perhaps there should be 3 releases:
            1) Includes scripting langauges, compatible with 10.1 (10.2 possibly)
            2) No scripting languages, compatible with 10.1
            3) Includes scripting language support, but not the scripting
            languages themselves (latest OS version only, 10.3 right now).

            I would personally pick the 3rd because I keep up with Apple's releases
            and because I know it'll be linked to the latest and greatest (like
            iconv).

            > When trying to compile with +perl, configure complains that it
            > will
            > not use a threaded version of perl. (This is on 10.3.) My guess is
            > that including the perl libraries is the only way to distribute a
            > version of Vim.app that works with perl on 10.3.

            That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
            what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has the
            GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or maybe..
            Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?

            -bob
          • Ken Scott
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
              On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

              > [snip]

              > That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
              > what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has
              > the GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or
              > maybe.. Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?

              If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll try
              building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
              things or not.

              Ken Scott

              --
              <>< Ken Scott ken@... http://hobbes.optikos.net/~ken

              This is the day that the Lord has made;
              Let us rejoice and be glad in it -- Psalm 118:24
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 15, 2004
                Benji Fisher wrote:

                > > Among other things. It's pretty hard to build something +python that
                > > works on 10.2 and 10.3 without actually including Python itself (which
                > > is possible and actually pretty easy since Python is a framework).
                >
                > Should we move in this direction? That is, should we make the
                > binary distribution for OS X as portable as possible? It would be
                > simpler to have two versions (one huge, including the python, perl, ...
                > libraries that it uses, one with no support for python, perl, etc.) than
                > to have one version for 10.1, one for 10.2, one for 10.3, ...

                I asked the MacPython expert about this. His reaction was that it's not
                a good idea to include Python for 10.3. For 10.2 installing a recent
                MacPython version is best.

                It's very likely not possible to make a Vim that runs on both 10.2 and
                10.3, unless we leave out things that are new on 10.3 (e.g., iconv).

                For now, I would think it's best to make a Vim version for 10.2 and one
                for 10.3 in such a way that it doesn't require other installing things.
                I dislike the idea of requiring MacPython version n.m first and
                including it makes the distribution big and may cause new problems.

                It seems that the idea to make one Vim binary for all 10.x versions is
                bound to fail... :-(.

                --
                If I tell you "you have a beautiful body", would you hold it against me?

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                  On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:07:32AM -0700, Ken Scott wrote:

                  > On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
                  >
                  > >[snip]
                  >
                  > >That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
                  > >what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has
                  > >the GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or
                  > >maybe.. Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?
                  > >

                  > If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll try
                  > building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
                  > things or not.

                  Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave that
                  for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume there is a
                  reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?

                  --Benji Fisher
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                    Benji Fisher wrote:

                    > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:07:32AM -0700, Ken Scott wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On Jan 14, 2004, at 8:39 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
                    > >
                    > > >[snip]
                    > >
                    > > >That's bizarre, because Python is threaded on OS X 10.3 ... I wonder
                    > > >what the deal is with that? Is a threaded Python ok because it has
                    > > >the GIL, or should a non-threaded version be in Vim as well? Or
                    > > >maybe.. Vim's configure script should take a threaded Perl?
                    > > >

                    > > If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll try
                    > > building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
                    > > things or not.
                    >
                    > Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave that
                    > for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume there is a
                    > reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?

                    I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an explicit
                    configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason. But perhaps
                    it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also possible that
                    if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.

                    You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
                    this below the "eval" command:

                    usethreads=undef

                    Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.

                    --
                    "Never be afraid to tell the world who you are."
                    -- Anonymous

                  • Ken Scott
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                      On Jan 16, 2004, at 6:03 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > Benji Fisher wrote:

                      >>> If someone can talk me through modifying the configure script, I'll
                      >>> try
                      >>> building it to accept the threaded perl, and see if it can do basic
                      >>> things or not.
                      >>
                      >> Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave
                      >> that
                      >> for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume there is a
                      >> reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?
                      >
                      > I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an
                      > explicit
                      > configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason. But perhaps
                      > it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also possible that
                      > if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.
                      >
                      > You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
                      > this below the "eval" command:
                      >
                      > usethreads=undef
                      >
                      > Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.

                      I did this; the only warning I saw was a warning for an unused
                      variable. At the end, near the ld steps, I was getting a message that
                      /usr/local/lib does not exist, but I do not think that harmed anything.

                      I ran the Vim.app that was created. It shows +perl, and I am able to
                      run :perl VIM::Msg("This is from Perl in Vim") and get the message
                      displayed. I think this means that the perl interface is working on
                      some very basic level. I do not have the expertise to test this more
                      fully.

                      I am now playing in the auto/configure script to see if the Tcl support
                      can be turned on. It was not finding the includes; I am trying to get
                      the include from /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers to be
                      recognized.

                      Onward and upwards...

                      Ken

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                        Ken Scott wrote:

                        > > Benji Fisher wrote:

                        > >> Tweaking the configure script is not easy. I prefer to leave
                        > >> that for people who understand autoconf. As for perl, I assume
                        > >> there is a reason not to link against a threaded version. Bram?
                        > >
                        > > I do not know why Perl without threads is refused. There is an
                        > > explicit configure check for it, thus there must be a good reason.
                        > > But perhaps it was only for an old version of Perl? It's also
                        > > possible that if_perl.xs is not prepared for threading.
                        > >
                        > > You could edit src/auto/configure, search for "usethreads" and insert
                        > > this below the "eval" command:
                        > >
                        > > usethreads=undef
                        > >
                        > > Look out or compile errors and warnings in if_perl.c.
                        >
                        > I did this; the only warning I saw was a warning for an unused
                        > variable. At the end, near the ld steps, I was getting a message that
                        > /usr/local/lib does not exist, but I do not think that harmed anything.
                        >
                        > I ran the Vim.app that was created. It shows +perl, and I am able to
                        > run :perl VIM::Msg("This is from Perl in Vim") and get the message
                        > displayed. I think this means that the perl interface is working on
                        > some very basic level. I do not have the expertise to test this more
                        > fully.
                        >
                        > I am now playing in the auto/configure script to see if the Tcl support
                        > can be turned on. It was not finding the includes; I am trying to get
                        > the include from /System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers to be
                        > recognized.
                        >
                        > Onward and upwards...

                        The patch that added the configure check for threads is 6.1.438, made by
                        Aron Griffis. I'll include him in the copy list.

                        Aron, can you tell us how to test that a threaded Perl will break?
                        Could this depend on the Perl version somehow? Perhaps the Perl on Mac
                        OSX 10.3 does work.

                        --
                        Not too long ago, cut and paste was done with scissors and glue...

                      • Aron Griffis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                          Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Fri Jan 16 2004, 01:56:47PM EST]
                          > The patch that added the configure check for threads is 6.1.438, made by
                          > Aron Griffis. I'll include him in the copy list.

                          Last time I tested this was 6.1.411 with Perl 5.8.0. It blew up with
                          link errors like this:

                          gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/ex_docmd.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o objects/fold.o objects/getchar.o objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/main.o objects/mark.o objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o objects/message.o objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o objects/mbyte.o objects/normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o objects/os_unix.o objects/pathdef.o objects/quickfix.o objects/regexp.o objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/syntax.o objects/tag.o objects/term.o objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/window.o objects/if_perl.o objects/if_perlsfio.o objects/if_python.o objects/py_config.o objects/version.o -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lncurses -lgpm -ldl -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux-thread-multi/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux-thread-multi/CORE -lperl -lpthread -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config -lpython2.2 -ldl -lpthread -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic

                          objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x21): In function `ex_perl':
                          : undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                          objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x33): In function `ex_perl':
                          : undefined reference to `Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr'

                          The full build log is at

                          http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=10073&action=view
                          http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18555

                          It's possible that this works now with threaded Perl. I suppose that if
                          it links it will probably work. I will give it a try and follow up.

                          Aron
                        • Aron Griffis
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 16, 2004
                            [snipped to be accepted by the vim-mac ML]

                            I just tested. I have perl-5.8.2 installed and I'm testing 6.2.140
                            (with a workaround to allow threaded perl). I get the following output:

                            gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim objects/buffer.o objects/charset.o objects/diff.o objects/digraph.o objects/edit.o objects/eval.o objects/ex_cmds.o objects/ex_cmds2.o objects/ex_docmd.o objects/ex_eval.o objects/ex_getln.o objects/fileio.o objects/fold.o objects/getchar.o objects/if_cscope.o objects/if_xcmdsrv.o objects/main.o objects/mark.o objects/memfile.o objects/memline.o objects/menu.o objects/message.o objects/misc1.o objects/misc2.o objects/move.o objects/mbyte.o objects/normal.o objects/ops.o objects/option.o objects/os_unix.o objects/pathdef.o objects/quickfix.o objects/regexp.o objects/screen.o objects/search.o objects/syntax.o objects/tag.o objects/term.o objects/ui.o objects/undo.o objects/window.o objects/gui.o objects/gui_gtk.o objects/gui_gtk_x11.o objects/pty.o objects/gui_gtk_f.o objects/gui_beval.o objects/if_perl.o objects/if_perlsfio.o objects/netbeans.o objects/version.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangoxft-1.0 -lpangox-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lglib-2.0 -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lncurses -lgpm -ldl -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux-thread-multi/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux-thread-multi/CORE -lperl -ldl -lutil -lc
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x5c): In function `perl_init':
                            /var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:370: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x66):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:370: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x156): In function `newWINrv':
                            /var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x160):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x199):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1a3):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1cb):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1d5):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x1f8):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x202):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x222):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `Perl_Gthr_key_ptr'
                            objects/if_perl.o(.text+0x22c):/var/tmp/portage/vim-6.2-r5/work/vim62/src/if_perl.xs:467: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
                          • Bram Moolenaar
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 17, 2004
                              Aron Griffis wrote:

                              > I just tested. I have perl-5.8.2 installed and I'm testing 6.2.140
                              > (with a workaround to allow threaded perl). I get the following output:

                              Juan Fuentes suggested that it should work fine without threads and with
                              the newer thread system, but not with Perl 5.5 threads. Later Perl
                              versions can still be build with the 5.5 threads.

                              I now have the following configure check for Perl threads. Please try
                              this with various versions of Perl.

                              *** ../vim-6.2.181/src/auto/configure Mon Dec 29 21:00:25 2003
                              --- src/auto/configure Sat Jan 17 12:49:31 2004
                              ***************
                              *** 1570,1579 ****

                              if test "X$vi_cv_path_perl" != "X"; then
                              echo $ac_n "checking Perl version""... $ac_c" 1>&6
                              ! echo "configure:1480: checking Perl version" >&5
                              if $vi_cv_path_perl -e 'require 5.003_01' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
                              eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:usethreads`
                              if test "X$usethreads" = "XUNKNOWN" -o "X$usethreads" = "Xundef"; then
                              echo "$ac_t""OK" 1>&6
                              eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:shrpenv`
                              if test "X$shrpenv" = "XUNKNOWN"; then # pre 5.003_04
                              --- 1570,1595 ----

                              if test "X$vi_cv_path_perl" != "X"; then
                              echo $ac_n "checking Perl version""... $ac_c" 1>&6
                              ! echo "configure:1574: checking Perl version" >&5
                              if $vi_cv_path_perl -e 'require 5.003_01' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
                              eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:usethreads`
                              if test "X$usethreads" = "XUNKNOWN" -o "X$usethreads" = "Xundef"; then
                              + badthreads=no
                              + else
                              + if $vi_cv_path_perl -e 'require 5.6.0' >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; then
                              + eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:use5005threads`
                              + if test "X$use5005threads" = "XUNKNOWN" -o "X$use5005threads" = "Xundef"; then
                              + badthreads=no
                              + else
                              + badthreads=yes
                              + echo "$ac_t"">>> Perl > 5.6 with 5.5 threads cannot be used <<<" 1>&6
                              + fi
                              + else
                              + badthreads=yes
                              + echo "$ac_t"">>> Perl 5.5 with threads cannot be used <<<" 1>&6
                              + fi
                              + fi
                              + if test $badthreads = no; then
                              echo "$ac_t""OK" 1>&6
                              eval `$vi_cv_path_perl -V:shrpenv`
                              if test "X$shrpenv" = "XUNKNOWN"; then # pre 5.003_04
                              ***************
                              *** 1602,1609 ****
                              #define FEAT_PERL 1
                              EOF

                              - else
                              - echo "$ac_t"">>> Perl with threads cannot be used <<<" 1>&6
                              fi
                              else
                              echo "$ac_t"">>> too old; need Perl version 5.003_01 or later <<<" 1>&6
                              --- 1618,1623 ----

                              --
                              FATHER: Who are you?
                              PRINCE: I'm ... your son ...