Re: Changing elements of a color scheme

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 15, 2011

      On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

      > On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> 1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:
      >> a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
      >> b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
      >> c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.
      >>
      >> (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)
      >
      > Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes there. And thanks, too, for the pointers to relevant help.

      Just to emphasise, with my suggestion step 'b' is slightly different:

      - create a *new and empty* file in "~/.vim/colors/", for instance
      "zellner_mod.vim",
      - add the following (here *reusing* the zellner colorscheme):

      runtime colors/zellner.vim
      let g:colors_name = "zellner_mod"

      - add or override any highlights you want,
      - use :colorscheme zellner_mod to load it.

      The key thing is that :runtime sources the colorscheme from where it
      is -- so you don't have to copy its contents. This means it can be
      updated and your modified version will get those changes as well
      (unless it overrides them of course).

      (See :help :runtime for details; the gist of it being that it works
      like :source but looks for the path given in each directory by
      'runtimepath' (i.e. $VIMRUNTIME, your local $HOME/.vim, eventual
      pathogen bundles, etc.).)

      ('let g:colors_name = ...' is of course set to whatever name you gave
      this new colorscheme.)

      Best regards,
      Niklas