Re: Plugin/addon managers

  • Andrew Stewart
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2011
      On 9 Jul 2011, at 18:17, Eric Weir wrote:
      > I now have a few Vim plugins installed. I assume there will be more, if not many more, coming down the path. Back when I was just getting started with Vim a couple months or so ago I had a brief flirtation with Pathogen. Thought I would get set up with a system for managing plugins before beginning to acquire them. However, Pathogen seemed to be creating problems in getting VimOutliner running, I was encouraged to abandon it, and I did. Now I'm wondering if maybe its time to give a plugin manager a try again.
      >
      > Again, I have brief experience with Pathogen. I've bookmarked the Vim pages for vim-addon-manager and Vundle. I'd appreciate any feedback or guidance on these or other plugin managers I may have overlooked. Any insights will be welcome, of course, but I'd be especially interested in comments of people who have experience with more than one of these or other plugins.

      I tried VimBalls a while ago but grew frustrated at the work that needs doing when a script/plugin isn't already packaged as a VimBall. I switched to Pathogen and it has always worked wonderfully. If a conflict with VimOutliner is the only thing holding you back, I'd file bug reports with the authors of VimOutliner and Pathogen and hope it'll be resolved soon.

      With Pathogen it doesn't matter how other scripts/plugins are distributed. You just copy their root directory into your bundle directory, where they are cleanly separated, and Pathogen takes cares of loading them up. This contrasts with some other plugin managers where each plugins' files are mingled together in Vim's various directories.

      Finally, if you are familiar with a version control system, I'd suggest version-controlling your home Vim directory regardless of what system you use to wrangle plugins. Then, if you install or change something and suffer problems, it's easy with your version control system to revert the change you made.

      Yours,
      Andy Stewart

      -------
      http://airbladesoftware.com

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
        On Jul 10, 2011, at 4:25 PM, David Patrick Henderson wrote:

        > If it's not a vimball, then you need to make it one before you can use VimBall features using MkVimBall. My method follows:

        Thanks for the explanation, David. I'm torn at the moment between the the apparent simplicity of the vimball approach and the fact that VAM does so much automatically. It's not an urgent matter. Real work calls. I will probably sit on it for a while.

        Sincerely,
        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA USA
        eeweir@...

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
          On Jul 11, 2011, at 4:42 AM, Andrew Stewart wrote:

          > I tried VimBalls a while ago but grew frustrated at the work that needs doing when a script/plugin isn't already packaged as a VimBall. I switched to Pathogen and it has always worked wonderfully. If a conflict with VimOutliner is the only thing holding you back, I'd file bug reports with the authors of VimOutliner and Pathogen and hope it'll be resolved soon.

          Thanks, Andrew. That was my question about the vimball approach. David makes the solution sound relatively simple, though I imagine that if I were to get down to work with it I would have more questions. VAM appeals for the same reasons as Pathogen plus others, e.g., automatic fetching and resolving of dependencies.

          I am not using VimOutliner at the moment, so the apparent conflict with at least Pathogen is not an issue.

          > Finally, if you are familiar with a version control system, I'd suggest version-controlling your home Vim directory regardless of what system you use to wrangle plugins.

          Thanks for this suggestion. I take it git would be a way to do that. I understand it is not difficult to install, but actively using it would probably be a bit more of a challenge for me. I'm gonna hold off for the moment.

          Sincerely,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA USA
          eeweir@...

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
            In Section 12 of the documentation for VAM there is this:

            You have to trust script authors:
            Because everybody can upload everything to the repositories (in particular
            www.vim.org) you must trust authors. I can't review all code - so expect code
            to steal your passwords, run sudo rm -fr / ... etc. (This never happened to
            me. But it could)

            Is this in fact an issue -- still? Is it an issue if git is not used?

            Thanks,

            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA USA
            eeweir@...

          • Maui Threv
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
              Entirely off-topic, but...

              The first thread I see on the vim_mac mailing list is started by a guy in my own neighborhood.  Crazy serendipity.

              Threv