Re: Taking cues from iA writer

  • dacresni
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2011

      I don't quite see how it doesn't fit but, do tell.

    • Brian Wolven
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2011
        Change the icon? Seriously, nothing better to do? Don't any of you people *work* for a living?  =P

      • ivar vasara
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2011
          On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Brian Wolven <brian.wolven@...> wrote:
          > Change the icon? Seriously, nothing better to do? Don't any of you people
          > *work* for a living?  =P

          Spoken like a true server side developer !

          I don't see this as an unreasonable request - a quick look at
          http://www.google.ca/search?q=macvim+icon suggests that others have
          thought so too.
          Given the reputation for attention to design, aesthetics and usability
          on the Mac platform, this pursuit of excellence should be expected.
          Also because the core functionality of macvim is so solid (thanks
          Bram, Bjorn et al.) that attention turns to smaller details.

        • David Patrick Henderson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2011
            On 08 Jul 2011, at 02:49, Janusz Bossy wrote:

            > I also dislike the Vim's icon. I know it's history, iconic and
            > everything but it just doesn't fit into any of the new OSes (if you
            > work with a console you don't need the icon ;)). I've been using this:
            > http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/screenshot20110708at114.png/

            I like this one. Now, make the background a green button and I’d say that you’ve captured the essence of the original logo while giving it a sweet modern update.

            David P Henderson
            c: 757.286.3212
            --
            "Beautiful bodies and beautiful personalities rarely go together."
            -- Carl Jung

          • Andy Michaels
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2011
              >> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/screenshot20110708at114.png/
              >
              > I like this one. Now, make the background a green button and I’d say that you’ve captured the essence of the original logo while giving it a sweet modern update.

              I like that icon as well. I'm ambivalent on the color, but I do like
              the look of it.

              -andy

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 8, 2011
                On 8 July 2011 00:21, Hakan Ensari wrote:

                > To follow up on my tweet a few weeks ago, here's what I think would be
                > super if MacVim perhaps borrowed from iA Writer's minimalist UI.
                >
                > * You fire MacVim up. No toolbar. A simple, dark toolbar.
                >
                > http://cl.ly/260K0d1D2K3q2H1P3O0h

                Changing to a dark window frame would require changing the tabs to
                match as well. Nothing that I feel up to doing I'm afraid. Besides,
                doesn't this violate a million Apple HIGs?

                ":set go-=T" is the closest to this that I think I'd like to go.

                > * You type or click. The toolbar disappears. Pure canvas.
                >
                > http://cl.ly/1j1h1Z2G1B3x233v351v

                Again, this must violate the Apple HIG?

                I think full screen mode is a good substitute that also does not
                violate the HIG.

                > * Finally, a more seductive but probably not-so-straightforward thing
                > to implement: Gray out everything but the section you are reading/
                > writing by selecting "focus mode." In iA Writer, the unit is a
                > sentence, so I'm not sure how that would translate it into text as
                > code.
                >
                > http://cl.ly/400M3I3Z0i371I1F3Y21

                As has been mentioned this should be possible to implement using Vim
                script. It is nothing that I would want to write code for at any
                rate.

                > * Also, off topic, it would be awesome to replace the icon with
                > something sexier. I'm not a designer but have been using this as a
                > stop gap measure:
                >
                > http://cl.ly/1J2P083w3l3z0D2X3V3i

                No, I will not change the icon for something that does not look like
                the "green diamond with a V". This topic has been brought up in the
                past and it just leads to discussions that I'd rather not participate
                in (or read for that matter). Sorry, I'm not a big fan of the green
                diamond either, but it is here to stay.

                > I love MacVim. Thank you for your awesome work.

                Cheers! That is always nice to hear. :-)

                I always appreciate suggestions for change even though I don't really
                want to accommodate any of the ones you just brought up. Please don't
                take this as me saying I don't want any change at all -- in fact, I do
                think we should allow ourselves to be influenced by other editors
                somewhat.

              • Hakan Ensari
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2011

                  > ":set go-=T" is the closest to this that I think I'd like to go.

                  Yep, I do that.

                  > Again, this must violate the Apple HIG?

                  Not that it should influence your design choice, but my uninformed
                  guess would be it does not? QuickTime Player has a similar dark
                  toolbar that vanishes when the video starts playing and so on.

                  Yes, I do go full screen most of the time but there are others where I
                  choose not to for various reasons.

                  > I always appreciate suggestions for change even though I don't really
                  > want to accommodate any of the ones you just brought up.  Please don't
                  > take this as me saying I don't want any change at all -- in fact, I do
                  > think we should allow ourselves to be influenced by other editors
                  > somewhat.

                  No problem. I just thought I'd chime in. Cheers!

                  Hakan