Finder crashes when viewing MacVim file with QuickLook

  • Tony S Yu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011
      When I try to view a MacVim file (i.e. any file that opens with MacVim
      by default) with Quicklook, I get a blank Quicklook window and about
      50% of the time, Finder crashes and restarts. Below: I've copied the
      Console messages from the crash:

      Jul 8 , Jul 8, 11:00:29 AM Finder[66995] [QL] Assertion failure
      (NSWidth(frame) > 0.0 && NSHeight(frame) > 0.0) - invalid preview
      content frame
      Jul 8 , Jul 8, 11:00:30 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129]
      (com.apple.Finder[66995]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap
      Jul 8 , Jul 8, 11:00:30 AM ReportCrash[67024] Saved crash report for
      Finder[66995] version 10.6.8 (10.6.8) to /Users/Tony/Library/Logs/
      DiagnosticReports/Finder_2011-07-08-110030_Tonys-MacBook.crash

      The crash report doesn't seem to have any useful info (other then the
      lines copied here, but I can post if desired). I'm using the latest
      stable version of MacVim: Version 7.3 (53). I've checked that vim
      configuration (and bash profiles) are not the issue.

      Any ideas what might be causing this?

      Thanks,
      -Tony

    • Brian Wolven
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011
        Have you installed any Quicklook plug-ins or add-ons (~/Library/QuickLook or  /Library/QuickLook)? That seems like the likeliest source of problems.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011
          On 8 July 2011 17:26, Tony S Yu wrote:
          > When I try to view a MacVim file (i.e. any file that opens with MacVim
          > by default) with Quicklook, I get a blank Quicklook window and about
          > 50% of the time, Finder crashes and restarts. Below: I've copied the
          > Console messages from the crash:
          >
          > Jul 8 , Jul 8, 11:00:29 AM      Finder[66995]   [QL] Assertion failure
          > (NSWidth(frame) > 0.0 && NSHeight(frame) > 0.0) - invalid preview
          > content frame
          > Jul 8 , Jul 8, 11:00:30 AM      com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129]
          > (com.apple.Finder[66995]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap
          > Jul 8 , Jul 8, 11:00:30 AM      ReportCrash[67024]      Saved crash report for
          > Finder[66995] version 10.6.8 (10.6.8) to /Users/Tony/Library/Logs/
          > DiagnosticReports/Finder_2011-07-08-110030_Tonys-MacBook.crash
          >
          > The crash report doesn't seem to have any useful info (other then the
          > lines copied here, but I can post if desired). I'm using the latest
          > stable version of MacVim: Version 7.3 (53). I've checked that vim
          > configuration (and bash profiles) are not the issue.
          >
          > Any ideas what might be causing this?

          MacVim does not interact with QuickLook in any way other than to add
          certain file types to its Info.plist so that QuickLook will realize
          that these are text files. In other words, this problem is not caused
          by MacVim.

          Sorry that I can't be of any help.

        • Brian Wolven
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011

            Sorry that I can't be of any help.

            Björn

            Oh, don't *ever* say that. You made MacVim.

          • Tony Yu
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011
              On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Brian Wolven <brian.wolven@...> wrote:
              Have you installed any Quicklook plug-ins or add-ons (~/Library/QuickLook or /Library/QuickLook)? That seems like the likeliest source of problems.

              Hi Brian,

              This was the problem, Thanks! It turns out I installed a QuickLook plugin, qlcolorcode, years ago. But the strange part is that this error doesn't occur if I change the default text program to TextMate or TextEdit, which is why I thought it was a MacVim issue.

              Anyway, thanks again for your help.

              -Tony

            • Brian Wolven
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011
                I have qlcolorcode installed as well, but have not had any problems with it. You might try updating the plug-in, as I think there is a newer version out. Perhaps it was a Leopard-Snow Leopard compatibility issue?

              • Tony Yu
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8, 2011
                  On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Brian Wolven <brian.wolven@...> wrote:
                  I have qlcolorcode installed as well, but have not had any problems with it. You might try updating the plug-in, as I think there is a newer version out. Perhaps it was a Leopard-Snow Leopard compatibility issue?

                  Right again: the newer version does not have this issue. Thanks!