Re: Changing elements of a color scheme

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 8, 2011
      On Jul 8, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Tony Berkopes wrote:

      > I'm working on reconfiguring my statusline so it is similar to the one in Cream.
      >
      > http://cream.sourceforge.net/statusline.html

      Yeah, I noticed that. As a novice, I haven't even gotten around to that, yet.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA
      eeweir@...

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 9, 2011
        On 07/07/11 16:26, Eric Weir wrote:

        > I've discovered a color scheme that I like better than the one I've been using since starting with Vim/MacVim a few months ago. However, there's one element that clashes for me -- the color of the cursor. I know what color I'd like it to be, i.e., the color that CameCase words get in a plugin I use using this scheme.
        >
        > How do I change the color of the cursor? How do I identify and specify the color I want?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Eric Weir
        > Decatur, GA USA
        > eeweir@...

        1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim
        (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The
        way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:

        a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary,
        create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
        b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and
        give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing
        colorscheme
        c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.

        (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently
        modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)

        2) See
        :help 'guicursor'
        :help lCursor
        :help hl-Cursor
        :help hl-CursorIM
        :help CursorIM
        for the names of the cursor colors used in the gvim or MacVim GUI. In
        short, they are:
        - Cursor the cursor color for everything except what is said below
        - lCursor when a keymap (or language-mappings) are in effect
        - CursorIM when an Input Method (XIM or Windows IME) is in effect

        See also:
        - about one page below ":help xfree-xterm" how to set the cursor color
        in an xterm
        - ":help xterm-blink" to make the cursor blink in an xterm
        - the full ":help xterm-color" section about how to nudge some
        particular terminals to get color in them
        - ":help termcap-cursor-color" about how to change cursor color in some
        terminals when going into or out of Insert mode.

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        Physicists do it with charm

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 9, 2011
          On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > 1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:
          > a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
          > b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
          > c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.
          >
          > (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)

          Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes there. And thanks, too, for the pointers to relevant help.

          Sincerely,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA USA
          eeweir@...

        • Niklas Lindström
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 15, 2011

            On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

            > On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >
            >> 1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:
            >> a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
            >> b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
            >> c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.
            >>
            >> (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)
            >
            > Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes there. And thanks, too, for the pointers to relevant help.

            Just to emphasise, with my suggestion step 'b' is slightly different:

            - create a *new and empty* file in "~/.vim/colors/", for instance
            "zellner_mod.vim",
            - add the following (here *reusing* the zellner colorscheme):

            runtime colors/zellner.vim
            let g:colors_name = "zellner_mod"

            - add or override any highlights you want,
            - use :colorscheme zellner_mod to load it.

            The key thing is that :runtime sources the colorscheme from where it
            is -- so you don't have to copy its contents. This means it can be
            updated and your modified version will get those changes as well
            (unless it overrides them of course).

            (See :help :runtime for details; the gist of it being that it works
            like :source but looks for the path given in each directory by
            'runtimepath' (i.e. $VIMRUNTIME, your local $HOME/.vim, eventual
            pathogen bundles, etc.).)

            ('let g:colors_name = ...' is of course set to whatever name you gave
            this new colorscheme.)

            Best regards,
            Niklas