Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Changing elements of a color scheme

Expand Messages
  • retiredff
    Here is my setting for the cursor: USE YOUR OWN COLORS
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7, 2011
      Here is my setting for the cursor: USE YOUR OWN COLORS <=============


      " ==================================================
      " Change cursor color in different modes
      " ==================================================

      hi Cursor guifg=White guibg=DodgerBlue3 guifg=white
      hi iCursor guifg=White guibg=red

      set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor
      set guicursor+=i-ci:ver25-iCursor

      Tony


      --
      View this message in context: http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/Changing-elements-of-a-color-scheme-tp4561216p4563000.html
      Sent from the Vim - Mac mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    • Eric Weir
      ... Thanks, Niklas. With help of the list I was able to change the color of the cursor, and actually to experiment a bit with colors, in the scheme in
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 8, 2011
        On Jul 7, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Niklas Lindström wrote:

        > I use the following approach to customize a colorscheme. Create a new,
        > empty file in "~/.vim/colors/" and add something like the following
        > (here a "zellner_mod.vim" modifying the zellner colorscheme):
        >
        > runtime colors/zellner.vim
        >
        > let g:colors_name = "zellner_mod"
        >
        > hi LineNr guibg=grey
        > hi NonText guibg=grey guifg=darkgreen
        > hi StatusLine guibg=grey48
        >
        > Then use :colorscheme zellner_mod to load it.

        Thanks, Niklas. With help of the list I was able to change the color of the cursor, and actually to experiment a bit with colors, in the scheme in question.

        As I understand your suggestion, it strike me as similar to this, which Reid Thompson shared with me off list.
        http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=106 But perhaps I am mistaken?

        Sincerely,
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA USA
        eeweir@...




        --
        You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      • Eric Weir
        ... Thanks, Tony. I didn t do anything like the last two lines, but I did what you ve done in the first to in the cursor lines for the gui and the terminal in
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 8, 2011
          On Jul 7, 2011, at 8:28 PM, retiredff wrote:

          > Here is my setting for the cursor: USE YOUR OWN COLORS <=============
          >
          > " ==================================================
          > " Change cursor color in different modes
          > " ==================================================
          >
          > hi Cursor guifg=White guibg=DodgerBlue3 guifg=white
          > hi iCursor guifg=White guibg=red
          >
          > set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor
          > set guicursor+=i-ci:ver25-iCursor

          Thanks, Tony. I didn't do anything like the last two lines, but I did what you've done in the first to in the cursor lines for the gui and the terminal in the scheme.

          Sincerely,
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA USA
          eeweir@...




          --
          You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        • Tony Berkopes
          your welcome... I m working on reconfiguring my statusline so it is similar to the one in Cream. http://cream.sourceforge.net/statusline.html Tony ... -- You
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 8, 2011
            your welcome...

            I'm working on reconfiguring my statusline so it is similar to the one in Cream.

            http://cream.sourceforge.net/statusline.html

            Tony

            On Jul 8, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

            >
            > On Jul 7, 2011, at 8:28 PM, retiredff wrote:
            >
            >> Here is my setting for the cursor: USE YOUR OWN COLORS <=============
            >>
            >> " ==================================================
            >> " Change cursor color in different modes
            >> " ==================================================
            >>
            >> hi Cursor guifg=White guibg=DodgerBlue3 guifg=white
            >> hi iCursor guifg=White guibg=red
            >>
            >> set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor
            >> set guicursor+=i-ci:ver25-iCursor
            >
            > Thanks, Tony. I didn't do anything like the last two lines, but I did what you've done in the first to in the cursor lines for the gui and the terminal in the scheme.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > Eric Weir
            > Decatur, GA USA
            > eeweir@...
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > --
            > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
            > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

            --
            You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          • Eric Weir
            ... Yeah, I noticed that. As a novice, I haven t even gotten around to that, yet. ... Eric Weir Decatur, GA USA eeweir@bellsouth.net -- You received this
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2011
              On Jul 8, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Tony Berkopes wrote:

              > I'm working on reconfiguring my statusline so it is similar to the one in Cream.
              >
              > http://cream.sourceforge.net/statusline.html

              Yeah, I noticed that. As a novice, I haven't even gotten around to that, yet.

              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA USA
              eeweir@...




              --
              You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            • Tony Mechelynck
              ... 1) If the colorscheme you ve come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don t modify it in-place. The way to modify
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 9, 2011
                On 07/07/11 16:26, Eric Weir wrote:
                >
                > I've discovered a color scheme that I like better than the one I've been using since starting with Vim/MacVim a few months ago. However, there's one element that clashes for me -- the color of the cursor. I know what color I'd like it to be, i.e., the color that CameCase words get in a plugin I use using this scheme.
                >
                > How do I change the color of the cursor? How do I identify and specify the color I want?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > Eric Weir
                > Decatur, GA USA
                > eeweir@...
                >
                >
                >
                >

                1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim
                (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The
                way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:

                a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary,
                create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
                b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and
                give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing
                colorscheme
                c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.

                (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently
                modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)

                2) See
                :help 'guicursor'
                :help lCursor
                :help hl-Cursor
                :help hl-CursorIM
                :help CursorIM
                for the names of the cursor colors used in the gvim or MacVim GUI. In
                short, they are:
                - Cursor the cursor color for everything except what is said below
                - lCursor when a keymap (or language-mappings) are in effect
                - CursorIM when an Input Method (XIM or Windows IME) is in effect

                See also:
                - about one page below ":help xfree-xterm" how to set the cursor color
                in an xterm
                - ":help xterm-blink" to make the cursor blink in an xterm
                - the full ":help xterm-color" section about how to nudge some
                particular terminals to get color in them
                - ":help termcap-cursor-color" about how to change cursor color in some
                terminals when going into or out of Insert mode.


                Best regards,
                Tony.
                --
                Physicists do it with charm

                --
                You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              • Eric Weir
                ... Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 9, 2011
                  On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                  > 1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:
                  > a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
                  > b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
                  > c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.
                  >
                  > (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)

                  Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes there. And thanks, too, for the pointers to relevant help.

                  Sincerely,
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Eric Weir
                  Decatur, GA USA
                  eeweir@...




                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                • Niklas Lindström
                  Hi, ... Just to emphasise, with my suggestion step b is slightly different: - create a *new and empty* file in ~/.vim/colors/ , for instance
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 15, 2011
                    Hi,

                    On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                    >
                    >> 1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:
                    >> a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
                    >> b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
                    >> c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.
                    >>
                    >> (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)
                    >
                    > Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes there. And thanks, too, for the pointers to relevant help.

                    Just to emphasise, with my suggestion step 'b' is slightly different:

                    - create a *new and empty* file in "~/.vim/colors/", for instance
                    "zellner_mod.vim",
                    - add the following (here *reusing* the zellner colorscheme):

                    runtime colors/zellner.vim
                    let g:colors_name = "zellner_mod"

                    - add or override any highlights you want,
                    - use :colorscheme zellner_mod to load it.

                    The key thing is that :runtime sources the colorscheme from where it
                    is -- so you don't have to copy its contents. This means it can be
                    updated and your modified version will get those changes as well
                    (unless it overrides them of course).

                    (See :help :runtime for details; the gist of it being that it works
                    like :source but looks for the path given in each directory by
                    'runtimepath' (i.e. $VIMRUNTIME, your local $HOME/.vim, eventual
                    pathogen bundles, etc.).)

                    ('let g:colors_name = ...' is of course set to whatever name you gave
                    this new colorscheme.)

                    Best regards,
                    Niklas

                    --
                    You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
                    Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.