Re: Changing elements of a color scheme

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7 10:40 AM
      On Jul 7, 2011, at 11:40 AM, David Patrick Henderson wrote:

      > I would suggest copying the color scheme you like to ~/.vim/colors/, renaming it, and setting the modified copy as your color scheme.
      >
      > You can try color names <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors> or use #RRGGBB hexadecimal notation in color schemes. Names work if defined in vim, RGB notation always works.

      Thanks again, David,

      I'm pretty certain I've identified the color from this. It's called "Blue"! [Or in hexadecimal, #0000FF.]

      I've coped the scheme from the runtime folder to ~/.vim/colors. I don't want to change the copy in the runtime folder. How do I get the copy in ~/.vim/colors to control?

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA
      eeweir@...

    • David Patrick Henderson
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 7 10:48 AM
        On 07 Jul 2011, at 10:40, Eric Weir wrote:

        > I've coped the scheme from the runtime folder to ~/.vim/colors. I don't want to change the copy in the runtime folder. How do I get the copy in ~/.vim/colors to control?

        Easiest way is to rename it and set up your .gvimrc with at least one setting:

        :color scheme name_of_colorscheme

        .gvimrc is generally where one inserts configuration directives that apply only to gui versions of vim: like MacVim or gvim on unix/linux systems.

        David P Henderson
        c: 757.286.3212
        --
        "Beautiful bodies and beautiful personalities rarely go together."
        -- Carl Jung

      • David Patrick Henderson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 7 11:12 AM
          On 07 Jul 2011, at 11:09, Eric Weir wrote:

          > Thanks. That was where I'd specified the scheme. Didn't know which copy, the one in /runtime/colors or ~/.vim/colors, would control. Apparently the latter.

          ~/.vim should load last on vim startup and therefore override anything that came before.

          David P Henderson
          c: xxx.xxx.xxxx
          --
          "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
          -- C. A. R. "Tony" Hoare

        • Niklas Lindström
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 7 1:37 PM
            Hi!

            On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM, David Patrick Henderson
            <dp.chaoswerks@...> wrote:
            > On 07 Jul 2011, at 10:40, Eric Weir wrote:
            >
            >> I've coped the scheme from the runtime folder to ~/.vim/colors. I don't want to change the copy in the runtime folder. How do I get the copy in ~/.vim/colors to control?
            >
            > Easiest way is to rename it and set up your .gvimrc with at least one setting:
            >
            > :color scheme name_of_colorscheme
            >
            > .gvimrc is generally where one inserts configuration directives that apply only to gui versions of vim: like MacVim or gvim on unix/linux systems.

            I use the following approach to customize a colorscheme. Create a new,
            empty file in "~/.vim/colors/" and add something like the following
            (here a "zellner_mod.vim" modifying the zellner colorscheme):

            runtime colors/zellner.vim

            let g:colors_name = "zellner_mod"

            hi LineNr guibg=grey
            hi NonText guibg=grey guifg=darkgreen
            hi StatusLine guibg=grey48

            Then use :colorscheme zellner_mod to load it.

            Best regards,
            Niklas

          • retiredff
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 7 5:28 PM
              Here is my setting for the cursor: USE YOUR OWN COLORS <=============

              " ==================================================
              " Change cursor color in different modes
              " ==================================================

              hi Cursor guifg=White guibg=DodgerBlue3 guifg=white
              hi iCursor guifg=White guibg=red

              set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor
              set guicursor+=i-ci:ver25-iCursor

              Tony

            • Eric Weir
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 8 7:05 AM
                On Jul 7, 2011, at 4:37 PM, Niklas Lindström wrote:

                > I use the following approach to customize a colorscheme. Create a new,
                > empty file in "~/.vim/colors/" and add something like the following
                > (here a "zellner_mod.vim" modifying the zellner colorscheme):
                >
                > runtime colors/zellner.vim
                >
                > let g:colors_name = "zellner_mod"
                >
                > hi LineNr guibg=grey
                > hi NonText guibg=grey guifg=darkgreen
                > hi StatusLine guibg=grey48
                >
                > Then use :colorscheme zellner_mod to load it.

                Thanks, Niklas. With help of the list I was able to change the color of the cursor, and actually to experiment a bit with colors, in the scheme in question.

                As I understand your suggestion, it strike me as similar to this, which Reid Thompson shared with me off list.
                http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=106 But perhaps I am mistaken?

                Sincerely,
                Eric Weir
                Decatur, GA USA
                eeweir@...

              • Eric Weir
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 8 7:09 AM
                  On Jul 7, 2011, at 8:28 PM, retiredff wrote:

                  > Here is my setting for the cursor: USE YOUR OWN COLORS <=============
                  >
                  > " ==================================================
                  > " Change cursor color in different modes
                  > " ==================================================
                  >
                  > hi Cursor guifg=White guibg=DodgerBlue3 guifg=white
                  > hi iCursor guifg=White guibg=red
                  >
                  > set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor
                  > set guicursor+=i-ci:ver25-iCursor

                  Thanks, Tony. I didn't do anything like the last two lines, but I did what you've done in the first to in the cursor lines for the gui and the terminal in the scheme.

                  Sincerely,
                  Eric Weir
                  Decatur, GA USA
                  eeweir@...

                • Tony Berkopes
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8 7:45 AM
                    your welcome...

                    I'm working on reconfiguring my statusline so it is similar to the one in Cream.

                    http://cream.sourceforge.net/statusline.html

                    Tony

                    On Jul 8, 2011, at 10:09 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

                    > On Jul 7, 2011, at 8:28 PM, retiredff wrote:
                    >
                    >> Here is my setting for the cursor: USE YOUR OWN COLORS <=============
                    >>
                    >> " ==================================================
                    >> " Change cursor color in different modes
                    >> " ==================================================
                    >>
                    >> hi Cursor guifg=White guibg=DodgerBlue3 guifg=white
                    >> hi iCursor guifg=White guibg=red
                    >>
                    >> set guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor
                    >> set guicursor+=i-ci:ver25-iCursor
                    >
                    > Thanks, Tony. I didn't do anything like the last two lines, but I did what you've done in the first to in the cursor lines for the gui and the terminal in the scheme.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Eric Weir
                    > Decatur, GA USA
                    > eeweir@...
                    >

                    > --

                  • Eric Weir
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 8 8:40 AM
                      On Jul 8, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Tony Berkopes wrote:

                      > I'm working on reconfiguring my statusline so it is similar to the one in Cream.
                      >
                      > http://cream.sourceforge.net/statusline.html

                      Yeah, I noticed that. As a novice, I haven't even gotten around to that, yet.

                      Eric Weir
                      Decatur, GA USA
                      eeweir@...

                    • Tony Mechelynck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 9 12:47 AM
                        On 07/07/11 16:26, Eric Weir wrote:

                        > I've discovered a color scheme that I like better than the one I've been using since starting with Vim/MacVim a few months ago. However, there's one element that clashes for me -- the color of the cursor. I know what color I'd like it to be, i.e., the color that CameCase words get in a plugin I use using this scheme.
                        >
                        > How do I change the color of the cursor? How do I identify and specify the color I want?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Eric Weir
                        > Decatur, GA USA
                        > eeweir@...

                        1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim
                        (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The
                        way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:

                        a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary,
                        create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
                        b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and
                        give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing
                        colorscheme
                        c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.

                        (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently
                        modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)

                        2) See
                        :help 'guicursor'
                        :help lCursor
                        :help hl-Cursor
                        :help hl-CursorIM
                        :help CursorIM
                        for the names of the cursor colors used in the gvim or MacVim GUI. In
                        short, they are:
                        - Cursor the cursor color for everything except what is said below
                        - lCursor when a keymap (or language-mappings) are in effect
                        - CursorIM when an Input Method (XIM or Windows IME) is in effect

                        See also:
                        - about one page below ":help xfree-xterm" how to set the cursor color
                        in an xterm
                        - ":help xterm-blink" to make the cursor blink in an xterm
                        - the full ":help xterm-color" section about how to nudge some
                        particular terminals to get color in them
                        - ":help termcap-cursor-color" about how to change cursor color in some
                        terminals when going into or out of Insert mode.

                        Best regards,
                        Tony.
                        --
                        Physicists do it with charm

                      • Eric Weir
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 9 9:48 AM
                          On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                          > 1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:
                          > a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
                          > b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
                          > c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.
                          >
                          > (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)

                          Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes there. And thanks, too, for the pointers to relevant help.

                          Sincerely,
                          Eric Weir
                          Decatur, GA USA
                          eeweir@...

                        • Niklas Lindström
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 15 4:32 AM

                            On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

                            > On Jul 9, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                            >
                            >> 1) If the colorscheme you've come to love is one distributed with Vim (and found in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/) then don't modify it in-place. The way to modify such a scheme for your own youse is to:
                            >> a) Make sure that directory $HOME/.vim/colors exists, and if necessary, create it, with its parent if that doesn't yet exist either
                            >> b) Copy the colorscheme you want to edit into that new directory, and give it a new name that doesn't clash with the name of any existing colorscheme
                            >> c) THEN you may modify that "new" colorscheme without fear.
                            >>
                            >> (Anything in the directory tree starting at $VIMRUNTIME may be silently modified whenever you upgrade Vim.)
                            >
                            > Thanks, Tony. Yeah, it was distributed with Vim, with MacVim that is. And I did what you said -- copied the scheme to ~/.vim/colors and made the changes there. And thanks, too, for the pointers to relevant help.

                            Just to emphasise, with my suggestion step 'b' is slightly different:

                            - create a *new and empty* file in "~/.vim/colors/", for instance
                            "zellner_mod.vim",
                            - add the following (here *reusing* the zellner colorscheme):

                            runtime colors/zellner.vim
                            let g:colors_name = "zellner_mod"

                            - add or override any highlights you want,
                            - use :colorscheme zellner_mod to load it.

                            The key thing is that :runtime sources the colorscheme from where it
                            is -- so you don't have to copy its contents. This means it can be
                            updated and your modified version will get those changes as well
                            (unless it overrides them of course).

                            (See :help :runtime for details; the gist of it being that it works
                            like :source but looks for the path given in each directory by
                            'runtimepath' (i.e. $VIMRUNTIME, your local $HOME/.vim, eventual
                            pathogen bundles, etc.).)

                            ('let g:colors_name = ...' is of course set to whatever name you gave
                            this new colorscheme.)

                            Best regards,
                            Niklas