Changing font for highlighted groups

  • Spiff
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
      Hi. Are there any plans to implement font selection in highlights, as
      in gvim/GTK2?

      e.g. hi! Conceal font=STIXRegular:h14

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
        On Jul 2, 7:31 pm, Spiff <spiffis...@...> wrote:
        > Hi. Are there any plans to implement font selection in highlights, as
        > in gvim/GTK2?
        >
        > e.g. hi! Conceal font=STIXRegular:h14

        IIUC what is said under ":help highlight-font" you can use this in any
        GUI vim (including MacVim), not only in gvim with GTK2 GUI, *BUT* for
        any highlight group other than Menu and Tooltip:
        - the font chosen should be a monospace font, and in gvim flavours
        other than GTK2 it MUST be so
        - the font chosen must have exactly the same pixel dimensions as the
        default font, and this means the following:
        - exactly the same pixel width
        - exactly the same pixel height
        - exactly the same pixel distance between the bottom of the cell and
        the bottom pixels of lovercase x
        - exactly the same pixel distance between the top of the cell and
        the top pixels of lowercase x
        - exactly the same pixel distance (a signed integer, which may be
        zero but doesn't have to) between the top of uppercase I and of
        lowercase l

        Because of these constraints, you will in general be better off
        leaving the font unchanged (in MacVim, and in GTK2 gvim too) and
        setting the other attributes (bold, italic, bg color, fg color, wavy
        underlining color…)

        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        As long as I am mayor of this city [Jersey City, New Jersey] the great
        industries are secure. We hear about constitutional rights, free

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2011
          On 2 July 2011 19:31, Spiff wrote:
          > Hi. Are there any plans to implement font selection in highlights, as
          > in gvim/GTK2?
          >
          > e.g. hi! Conceal font=STIXRegular:h14

          I was not even aware of this feature. It seems to work partially,
          e.g. I can set the "font" property for the "Normal" highlight group in
          a regular text document, but I have not been able to set e.g. the
          "Comment" group to use a different font in an Objective-C file.

          I'll put it on my todo list.

        • rocketspops
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2011
            Björn Winckler wrote:

            > I was not even aware of this feature. It seems to work partially,
            > e.g. I can set the "font" property for the "Normal" highlight group in
            > a regular text document, but I have not been able to set e.g. the
            > "Comment" group to use a different font in an Objective-C file.

            I too have run into this issue. The font property works (though it seems a
            little buggy) with the "normal" highlight group, but not with any other.

            Regarding the "buggy" ness: I've also encountered problems while setting the
            font attribute, though I admit it could be a lack of understanding on my
            part. But, if I try to use the font property to set a font that has spaces
            in it's name (e.g):

            hl StatusLine font=Alto\ Mono\ Normal:h11 guifg=#444444 guibg=#2B2B2B

            I get the following errors:

            Error detected while processing
            /Users/rocketspops/.vim/colors/railscasts.vim:
            line 29:
            E416: missing equal sign: Normal:h11\ guifg=#C4C4C4 guibg=#2B2B2B
            E235: Unknown font: Alto\

            However, if I use a font that has no spaces in between names (e.g):

            font=STIXGeneral:h11

            Everything works as it should. I'm running MacVim snapshot 61 on OSX 10.7.

            Any Ideas?