vim binaries for OS X (and request for help)

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2004
      Vim + Mac fans:

      While trying to compile a new version of vim for OS X, I started
      getting internal errors from gcc and bzip2. I think I have hardware
      problems. :-(

      Does anyone have advice on diagnosing memory problems on Mac OS X?
      I guess I can boot from my OS X CD's and run Disk Utility to check the
      hard drive, but I am not sure what to do about main memory. Also, I
      would appreciate a volunteer to compile the binaries and post them until
      I can get this straightened out. I can get access to other OS X
      machines, but it is a bit of a nuisance. You need a reasonably fast
      machine, a good internet connection (for uploading the binaries) and the
      compiler ("Developer Tools") installed. I can clean up my build
      script[1], so the process is pretty automatic.

      I recently uploaded two patches to http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/ :
      * Muraoka Taro's transparency patch works for me (except when gcc flails).
      It does not (yet) come with documentation.
      * Peter Cucka's antialiasing patch does not work well for me, but it
      supplies a new option, 'antialias', so you can turn it off if you have
      the same problems that I get. I owe Peter some more debugging info...

      Finally, if anyone has experience with Zope, I would like to set up
      a threaded Wiki-like page for user comments and Q&A so that suggestions
      and questions do not get lost when I do not get around to updating
      things for a while. I can probably figure out how to do it myself, but
      if it has already been done, I prefer not to duplicate the effort.

      --Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2004
        On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:31:12AM -0500, Benji Fisher wrote:
        > Vim + Mac fans:
        >
        > Does anyone have advice on diagnosing memory problems on Mac OS X?
        > I guess I can boot from my OS X CD's and run Disk Utility to check the
        > hard drive, but I am not sure what to do about main memory. Also, I
        > would appreciate a volunteer to compile the binaries and post them until
        > I can get this straightened out. I can get access to other OS X
        > machines, but it is a bit of a nuisance. You need a reasonably fast
        > machine, a good internet connection (for uploading the binaries) and the
        > compiler ("Developer Tools") installed. I can clean up my build
        > script[1], so the process is pretty automatic.

        I have received a gratifying response to those requests, off list.
        Thanks to all who replied. I will put together a convenient package and
        contact one or two of the volunteers today or tomorrow.

        > Finally, if anyone has experience with Zope, I would like to set up
        > a threaded Wiki-like page for user comments and Q&A so that suggestions
        > and questions do not get lost when I do not get around to updating
        > things for a while. I can probably figure out how to do it myself, but
        > if it has already been done, I prefer not to duplicate the effort.

        That request is still open. ;)

        I forgot to put in the footnote last time. For the curious:

        [1] The script applies unofficial patches, with confirmation, from a
        chosen directory, then runs "make; make install", adds a custom system
        vimrc and gvimrc and maybe another file or two, then reverses the
        patches.

        --Benji Fisher
      • Patrick Curtain
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2004
          Doh! Sorry, I wasn't watching!

          >> Finally, if anyone has experience with Zope, I would like to set
          >> up
          >> a threaded Wiki-like page for user comments and Q&A so that
          >> suggestions
          >> and questions do not get lost when I do not get around to updating
          >> things for a while. I can probably figure out how to do it myself,
          >> but
          >> if it has already been done, I prefer not to duplicate the effort.
          >
          > That request is still open. ;)

          I can tackle this one, I think. Zope provides a tool called a ZWiki.
          Let's start there and if it's not enough, I can set us up a MoinMoin
          based wiki.

          Sound workable? :-)
          --p
        • Bob Ippolito
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2004
            On Jan 12, 2004, at 8:01 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:31:12AM -0500, Benji Fisher wrote:
            >> Finally, if anyone has experience with Zope, I would like to set
            >> up
            >> a threaded Wiki-like page for user comments and Q&A so that
            >> suggestions
            >> and questions do not get lost when I do not get around to updating
            >> things for a while. I can probably figure out how to do it myself,
            >> but
            >> if it has already been done, I prefer not to duplicate the effort.
            >
            > That request is still open. ;)

            Last I checked, Plone ( http://www.plone.org/ ) was the easiest "zope
            installer" for OS X, and from what I remember it comes with all sorts
            of goodies.. chances are, it has something close enough to what you're
            looking for.

            -bob