Re: Exasperated with folding

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2011
      On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Steve Hall wrote:

      > It might be this simple:
      >
      > set viewoptions+=cursor,folds
      >
      > This will recall cursor location to the last place of edit and
      > remember the fold state.
      >
      > I also like to use markers in files where I'm forcing folds at
      > specific locations:

      Thanks, Steve. I'll have to give the first a try to understand what it will do, and whether it will give me, or help me get, what I want.

      René also suggested markers. While I'm reluctant to put non-relevant characters in my files, I may give it a try.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA
      eeweir@...

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2011
        On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Steve Hall wrote:

        > It might be this simple:
        >
        > set viewoptions+=cursor,folds
        >
        > This will recall cursor location to the last place of edit and
        > remember the fold state.

        Since this seemed like the simplest solution I tried it first. I used V and } to select the fold region, and had two blank lines between each entry. Still have the problem. At least a version of it.

        The last paragraph of my last entry refuses to be included in the fold, no matter what I do to try to get it in. This paragraph was added to the entry after the preceding paragraphs, and after a save and reload of the file. I notice also that before saving there are two dashes to the left of fold line before I save and three after reloading after a save. [I am unclear about the meaning of the dashes. I forget whether it indicates that that fold is contained in another fold, or that it contains another fold.]

        I've tried doing zD on the fold followed by a zD on the entire entry, including the last paragraph, assuming that will eliminate all folds in the entry. Then I redo the fold using V and } to select the region to establish a single new fold including the last paragraph. When I save and reload, the last paragraph is again missing from the fold.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA USA
        eeweir@...