Re: Configuring MacVim

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 6, 2011
      On Jun 6, 2011, at 2:43 AM, Peter Palmreuther wrote:

      >> Thanks, Peter. It is "$HOME/.gvimrc". Which I guess is the one I created, and has only these two commands.
      >
      > "guess" is quite vague for "problem hunting".
      > Please open MacVim and enter command ":e $HOME/.gvimrc" to check if the correct file opens, i.e. the one that in fact contains the two lines you entered.
      > If possible use copy/paste to avoid typos.

      My apologies for the vagueness, Peter.

      And thanks. Problem solved. When I opened the file in MacVim I saw that it had "^Ms" at the beginning and end of the lines. I had created the file in another editor and must have saved it with CRLF format.

      My MacVim version is 7.3.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA
      eeweir@...

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 6, 2011
        On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:18 AM, Devric wrote:

        > the guioptions-=T kind of useless on mac, you can just hit the button
        > on the top right of the macvim window to show/hide the tools.

        Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Devric.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA USA
        eeweir@...

      • Peter Palmreuther
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 6, 2011
          On 06/06/2011 at 11:20pm Eric Weir wrote:

          > On Jun 6, 2011, at 2:43 AM, Peter Palmreuther wrote:
          >
          >>> Thanks, Peter. It is "$HOME/.gvimrc". Which I guess is the one I created, and has only these two commands.
          >>
          >> "guess" is quite vague for "problem hunting".
          >> Please open MacVim and enter command ":e $HOME/.gvimrc" to check if the correct file opens, i.e. the one that in fact contains the two lines you entered.
          >> If possible use copy/paste to avoid typos.
          >
          > My apologies for the vagueness, Peter.

          No problem :-)
          It's just been my experience, that "guess" often turned out to be != reality ;-)

          > And thanks. Problem solved.

          Great news. Glad you got it worked out.

          > When I opened the file in MacVim I saw that it had "^Ms" at the beginning and end of the lines. I had created the file in another editor and must have saved it with CRLF format.

          *nah* How can you edit a vim config file with any other editor but vim ... ;-)
          --
          Best regard,

          Peter

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 7, 2011
            On Jun 6, 2011, at 5:54 PM, Peter Palmreuther wrote:

            > *nah* How can you edit a vim config file with any other editor but vim ... ;-)

            Well, I won't do that again. And while I'm at it, while I'm a writer, not a programmer, and while most of the topics on Vim_mac and Vim_Use are way over my head, and highly unlikely ever to be useful to me, I am gradually become more and more committed to Vim. Just today I discovered the ":ex" command. I love it.

            Next up is finding out about spellchecking and formatting of documents for printing.

            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA USA
            eeweir@...

          • Braden Douglass
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 8, 2011
              Eric,

              For your formatting "issue" I would look into a simple markup language like markup or textile. This is what I recommend to everyone using Vim who are predominately using it as a writing tool. All of the formatting stays in one document and is run through a converter when you want to pass the information to another human being, be it an editor or whatever.
              _____________________
              Braden Sawyer Douglass
               whyhello.im/braden
              “To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”
                        – Elbert Hubbard via Tim Ferriss

              On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Eric Weir <eeweir@...> wrote:

              On Jun 6, 2011, at 5:54 PM, Peter Palmreuther wrote:

              > *nah* How can you edit a vim config file with any other editor but vim ... ;-)

              Well, I won't do that again. And while I'm at it, while I'm a writer, not a programmer, and while most of the topics on Vim_mac and Vim_Use are way over my head, and highly unlikely ever to be useful to me, I am gradually become more and more committed to Vim. Just today I discovered the ":ex" command. I love it.

              Next up is finding out about spellchecking and formatting of documents for printing.

              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA  USA
              eeweir@...

            • Tim Gray
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 8, 2011
                On Jun 07, 2011 at 12:24 PM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
                >Next up is finding out about spellchecking and formatting of documents
                >for printing.

                Assuming you want the spell checker on all the time, add this in your
                .vimrc:

                set spell spelllang=en

                If you want it on for only certain document types, you could instead add
                a line like the following:

                au FileType mail,markdown,tex setlocal spell spelllang=en

                Obviously, add in the appropriate file types. A short list of commands
                that you'll probably want follow.

                - ]s - next misspelled word
                - [s - previous misspelled word
                - zg - add word to dictionary
                - z= - suggest correction

                For more information on the spell checker included with vim 7.3, try
                `:help spell`.

              • Eric Weir
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 8, 2011
                  On Jun 8, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Braden Douglass wrote:

                  > For your formatting "issue" I would look into a simple markup language like markup or textile. This is what I recommend to everyone using Vim who are predominately using it as a writing tool. All of the formatting stays in one document and is run through a converter when you want to pass the information to another human being, be it an editor or whatever.

                  Thanks, Braden. Yeah, I've become familiar with MultiMarkDown, which is really simple, leaves the file very readable, and can be compiled for LaTeX processing. And I think I've come across something for it -- a plugin? -- for Vim.

                  I am also looking for something that would handle simple setup of printing of Vim text documents, e.g., wrapping words, selecting fonts, and setting margins -- the bare minimum. Haven't come across anything for that yet.

                  Eric Weir
                  Decatur, GA USA
                  eeweir@...

                • Eric Weir
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 8, 2011
                    On Jun 8, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

                    > Assuming you want the spell checker on all the time, add this in your .vimrc:
                    >
                    > set spell spelllang=en
                    >
                    > If you want it on for only certain document types, you could instead add a line like the following:
                    >
                    > au FileType mail,markdown,tex setlocal spell spelllang=en
                    >
                    > Obviously, add in the appropriate file types. A short list of commands that you'll probably want follow.
                    >
                    > - ]s - next misspelled word
                    > - [s - previous misspelled word
                    > - zg - add word to dictionary
                    > - z= - suggest correction
                    >
                    > For more information on the spell checker included with vim 7.3, try `:help spell`.

                    Thanks, Tim. Especially for the first two items.

                    I used the second to turn spell on for txt files only, but it's checking my .vimrc. I especially don't want that.

                    Checking the help on spell, one of the comments was that it loads the entire dictionary, apparently a large file, into memory, and that it can slow things down. I don't work with very big files. Max would be 15 to 20 pages of plain text. I assume having spell on all the time is not going to be a problem for me. [I have two Gb of RAM.]

                    Eric Weir
                    Decatur, GA USA
                    eeweir@...

                  • David Patrick Henderson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 8, 2011
                      On 08 Jun 2011, at 14:48, Eric Weir wrote:

                      > Checking the help on spell, one of the comments was that it loads the entire dictionary, apparently a large file, into memory, and that it can slow things down. I don't work with very big files. Max would be 15 to 20 pages of plain text. I assume having spell on all the time is not going to be a problem for me. [I have two Gb of RAM.]

                      If you find it to be problematic, you turn it on and off in the vim command line:
                      :set(local) (no)spell

                      Probably better to make the spelling checker local to the current buffer using ‘setlocal’

                      David P Henderson
                      c: 757.286.3212
                      --
                      "Criticizing evolutionary theory because Darwin was limited is like claiming computers don't work because Chuck Babbage didn't foresee Duke Nukem 3."
                      -- Patrick Coskren

                    • Eric Weir
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 9, 2011
                        On Jun 8, 2011, at 8:09 PM, David Patrick Henderson wrote:

                        > On 08 Jun 2011, at 14:48, Eric Weir wrote:
                        >
                        >> Checking the help on spell, one of the comments was that it loads the entire dictionary, apparently a large file, into memory, and that it can slow things down. I don't work with very big files. Max would be 15 to 20 pages of plain text. I assume having spell on all the time is not going to be a problem for me. [I have two Gb of RAM.]
                        >
                        > If you find it to be problematic, you turn it on and off in the vim command line:
                        > :set(local) (no)spell
                        >
                        > Probably better to make the spelling checker local to the current buffer using ‘setlocal’

                        Thanks, David -- on both counts. At Tim's suggestion, I have the following in my .vimrc.

                        au FileType txt setlocal spell spelllang=en_us

                        Will the setlocal in that take care of it?

                        Eric Weir
                        Decatur, GA USA
                        eeweir@...

                      • Tim Gray
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 9, 2011
                          On Jun 09, 2011 at 05:33 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
                          >Thanks, David -- on both counts. At Tim's suggestion, I have the
                          >following in my .vimrc.
                          >
                          > au FileType txt setlocal spell spelllang=en_us
                          >
                          >Will the setlocal in that take care of it?

                          Yes that should take care of it.

                        • Eric Weir
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 9, 2011
                            On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Tim Gray wrote:

                            > On Jun 09, 2011 at 05:33 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
                            >> Thanks, David -- on both counts. At Tim's suggestion, I have the following in my .vimrc.
                            >>
                            >> au FileType txt setlocal spell spelllang=en_us
                            >>
                            >> Will the setlocal in that take care of it?
                            >
                            > Yes that should take care of it.

                            Thanks, Tim.

                            Eric Weir
                            Decatur, GA USA
                            eeweir@...

                          • Levi Figueira
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 6 12:07 PM
                              With Lion, there is no more "collapse toolbar" button anymore… :)

                            • David Patrick Henderson
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 6 2:20 PM
                                On 06 Jul 2011, at 12:07, Levi Figueira wrote:

                                With Lion, there is no more "collapse toolbar" button anymore… :)

                                Try the following in your .gvimrc as it works regardless of toolbar lozenge’s existence:

                                set guioptions-=T

                                David P Henderson
                                c: xxx.xxx.xxxx
                                --
                                "You can't have capitalism on the way up and socialism on the way down."
                                   -- Newt Gingrich