Re: Dynamically resize window when adding/removing vertical splits

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2011
      On 5 June 2011 05:23, elliottcable wrote:
      > I’m using the Janus distribution, with includes NERDTree. My MacVim is
      > set to open with 152 columns (113, my textwidth, plus space for
      > NERDTree and line numbers.)
      >
      > What I want to do, is ensure that when I open new vertical-splits from
      > NERDTree (or any other way, most specificaly my secondary method of
      > splitting, which is `-O` from the commandline: `mvim -O "./"
      > "a_specific_file_to_begin_editing" "and_another_one"`) that the MacVim
      > window itself resizes to maintain that pattern: 31 columns for
      > NERDTree, plus 121 columns per vsplit.
      >
      > So, opening MacVim with two files from the command-line should set the
      > MacVim window to 273 columns, with three files it should be 394,
      > etcetera etcetera etcetera. The same rules should apply anytime I open
      > or close a vsplit with NERDTree or `:q` or whatnot.
      >
      > Any help with this is appreciated! I’m a vim (and MacVim) noob, but
      > I’m enjoying what I’m learning so far. :D

      I don't have a proper answer to this question, but let me give you a
      lo-tech answer that I use e.g. when viewing diffs. I've got these
      mappings in my ~/.gvimrc

      map <D-1> :set co=80<CR>
      map <D-2> :set co=165<CR>:winc =<CR>

      When I diff something (with two vertical views) I hit Cmd-2 to resize
      the window so that both views have 80 columns (the extra columns are
      for the split and the gutter). When I am finished close the split and
      hit Cmd-1 to go back to 80 columns.

      There may be a way to automate this using autocommands but I cannot
      help you with that. Try asking on vim_use.