Re: Folding

  • Devric
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011
      Hey Eric

      Rather spend so many times writing your own indenting, have you tried
      org mode for vim plugin? search org mode in vim scripts, and should
      have some videos to show what it is.
      alternative you can use emacs org mode, even though emacs org mode is
      so much more powerful but i still love vim more, cos is much more
      intuitive than emacs,

      using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
      as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited

      * 1
      ** 2
      *** 2.1
      **** 2.1.1
      **** 2,1.2
      ** 3
      *** 3.1

      and other really amazing functions such as GTD, calendar, tagging blah
      blah you can find them in the videos since i mostly just use the
      indentation to record notes

      i don't think it remembers the state which line is folded which is
      not, its all folded when opening the file, but it is quite simple,
      just use "tab" key than it expands and minimizes, much easier than
      zR... even you add a shortcut, it still doesn't beat "tab"

      if you also like to use the @tags , its good that you also get the
      plugin of compview, this gives you a small slide down buffer letting
      you see all your search results, when you highlight the line in that
      small buffer, you will jump your view in your working buffer to that
      line. to trigger it use the leader key than v eg: \v

      have a go at it, i think you should love them as a writer. invest
      sometime in org mode plugin for vim, it saves you the headache of
      making one your own.

      On Jun 1, 11:37 pm, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
      > I'm a Vim novice, and a writer not a programmer. I've perused the responses to questions about folding in the Vim FAQ. It's largely Greek to me. I have a couple questions: I understand folds can be indented. Is it possible to get Vim to wrap words to the indent column? Is there a way I can get folds to persist across a save and reload?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Eric Weir
      > Decatur, GA  USA
      > eew...@...

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011

        On Jun 4, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Dan Michael wrote:

        fredag 3. juni 2011 kl. 15:37:57 UTC+2 skrev Eric Weir følgende:

        On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

        After inserting these lines when starting Vim or creating a new tab I get this error message:

        Error detected while processing BufWinEnter Auto commands for "*":
        E32: No file name

        This is because vim naively tries to load the view for an empty buffer, but of course no saved view exists for the empty buffer. The same happens when you open a help page. There is no saved view for the help pages, so you will get an error. One simple solution is to use "silent!" instead of "silent". This will silence any error message. My preferred solution is to instead to save views only for files of certain extensions (since mkview saves a lot of things, not just folds, and sometimes you just don't want it all saved). So, for instance,

        autocmd BufWinLeave *.txt mkview
        autocmd BufWinEnter *.txt silent loadview

        Thanks, Dan. I gave this one a try. Now I don't get either of the error messages.

        Good luck further! But please try to avoid quadruple-posting next time.

        Does this refer to multiple copies of the same post or multiple responses to a response before receiving a response?

        If the former, it shouldn't happen anymore. For a while Apple Mail was hanging up on send, and several times that resulted in multiple copies getting sent when the message was finally sent.

        If the second, I didn't realize that that was discouraged.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA  USA

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011

          On Jun 4, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Devric wrote:

          Rather spend so many times writing your own indenting, have you tried
          org mode for vim plugin? search org mode in vim scripts, and should
          have some videos to show what it is.

          using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
          as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited

          * 1
          ** 2
          *** 2.1
          **** 2.1.1
          **** 2,1.2
          ** 3
          *** 3.1

          and other really amazing functions such as GTD, calendar, tagging blah
          blah you can find them in the videos since i mostly just use the
          indentation to record notes

          Thanks, Devric. Never heard of org mode. As you describe it, sounds very interesting. I'll go looking for it.

          i don't think it remembers the state which line is folded which is
          not, its all folded when opening the file....

          I was recently given a solution for this. Any one of these:

          au BufWinLeave * mkview
          au BufWinEnter * silent loadview

          autocmd BufWinLeave *.txt mkview
          autocmd BufWinEnter *.txt silent loadview

          autocmd BufWinLeave *.* mkview
          autocmd BufWinEnter *.* silent loadview

          have a go at it, i think you should love them as a writer.  invest
          sometime in org mode plugin for vim, it saves you the headache of
          making one your own.

          I am definitely intrigued.

          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA  USA
          eeweir@...

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2011
            On Jun 4, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Devric wrote:

            > using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
            > as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited
            >
            > * 1
            > ** 2
            > *** 2.1
            > ** 3
            > *** 3.1

            Curious, Devric. I've been checking out the Vim Organizer videos. I notice that when adding body text the first column is aligned with the first column of the heading. Assuming you have linebreak set so words wrap to the screen, what happens when the body text extends beyond the first line, i.e., are subsequent lines also aligned with the first column of the heading?

            Thanks,
            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA USA
            eeweir@...