Re: Svar: Folding

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011

      On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

      After inserting these lines when starting Vim or creating a new tab I get this error message:

      Error detected while processing BufWinEnter Auto commands for "*":
      E32: No file name

      And when I open a file, I get the following message:

      Error detected while processing BufWinLeave Auto commands for "*":

      After that, when i hit <return> the file opens folded.

      Continue to get the first error message, but not the second. However, when a file saved with ten folded lines is saved and reopened, it reopens with only two lines folded.

      If anyone can suggest what's going on it would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA  USA

    • Dan Michael
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011
        fredag 3. juni 2011 kl. 15:37:57 UTC+2 skrev Eric Weir følgende:

        On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

        After inserting these lines when starting Vim or creating a new tab I get this error message:

        Error detected while processing BufWinEnter Auto commands for "*":
        E32: No file name

        This is because vim naively tries to load the view for an empty buffer, but of course no saved view exists for the empty buffer. The same happens when you open a help page. There is no saved view for the help pages, so you will get an error. One simple solution is to use "silent!" instead of "silent". This will silence any error message. My preferred solution is to instead to save views only for files of certain extensions (since mkview saves a lot of things, not just folds, and sometimes you just don't want it all saved). So, for instance,

        autocmd BufWinLeave *.txt mkview
        autocmd BufWinEnter *.txt silent loadview

        And you could also use

        autocmd BufWinLeave *.* mkview
        autocmd BufWinEnter *.* silent loadview

        for it to work with all files with a file extension.

        And when I open a file, I get the following message:

        Error detected while processing BufWinLeave Auto commands for "*":

        After that, when i hit <return> the file opens folded.

        Try disabling all plugins and clean your .vimrc file, and see if it still happens. You may also have to clean your ~/.vim/views folder, which is where the views are saved (but then you will loose the folds).

        Then please see :h viewoptions . As you see, a lot of things about the state of the file are saved with mkview, not only folds. It may be a very good idea to only save the things you need, like e.g. :set viewoptions=folds,cursor

        Good luck further! But please try to avoid quadruple-posting next time.

        – Dan Michael

      • Devric
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011
          Hey Eric

          Rather spend so many times writing your own indenting, have you tried
          org mode for vim plugin? search org mode in vim scripts, and should
          have some videos to show what it is.
          alternative you can use emacs org mode, even though emacs org mode is
          so much more powerful but i still love vim more, cos is much more
          intuitive than emacs,

          using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
          as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited

          * 1
          ** 2
          *** 2.1
          **** 2.1.1
          **** 2,1.2
          ** 3
          *** 3.1

          and other really amazing functions such as GTD, calendar, tagging blah
          blah you can find them in the videos since i mostly just use the
          indentation to record notes

          i don't think it remembers the state which line is folded which is
          not, its all folded when opening the file, but it is quite simple,
          just use "tab" key than it expands and minimizes, much easier than
          zR... even you add a shortcut, it still doesn't beat "tab"

          if you also like to use the @tags , its good that you also get the
          plugin of compview, this gives you a small slide down buffer letting
          you see all your search results, when you highlight the line in that
          small buffer, you will jump your view in your working buffer to that
          line. to trigger it use the leader key than v eg: \v

          have a go at it, i think you should love them as a writer. invest
          sometime in org mode plugin for vim, it saves you the headache of
          making one your own.

          On Jun 1, 11:37 pm, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
          > I'm a Vim novice, and a writer not a programmer. I've perused the responses to questions about folding in the Vim FAQ. It's largely Greek to me. I have a couple questions: I understand folds can be indented. Is it possible to get Vim to wrap words to the indent column? Is there a way I can get folds to persist across a save and reload?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Eric Weir
          > Decatur, GA  USA
          > eew...@...

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011

            On Jun 4, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Dan Michael wrote:

[...]

            Thanks, Dan. I gave this one a try. Now I don't get either of the error messages.

            Good luck further! But please try to avoid quadruple-posting next time.

            Does this refer to multiple copies of the same post or multiple responses to a response before receiving a response?

            If the former, it shouldn't happen anymore. For a while Apple Mail was hanging up on send, and several times that resulted in multiple copies getting sent when the message was finally sent.

            If the second, I didn't realize that that was discouraged.

            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA  USA

          • Eric Weir
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011

              On Jun 4, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Devric wrote:

              Rather spend so many times writing your own indenting, have you tried
              org mode for vim plugin? search org mode in vim scripts, and should
              have some videos to show what it is.

              using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
              as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited

              * 1
              ** 2
              *** 2.1
              **** 2.1.1
              **** 2,1.2
              ** 3
              *** 3.1

              and other really amazing functions such as GTD, calendar, tagging blah
              blah you can find them in the videos since i mostly just use the
              indentation to record notes

              Thanks, Devric. Never heard of org mode. As you describe it, sounds very interesting. I'll go looking for it.

              i don't think it remembers the state which line is folded which is
              not, its all folded when opening the file....

              I was recently given a solution for this. Any one of these:

              au BufWinLeave * mkview
              au BufWinEnter * silent loadview

              autocmd BufWinLeave *.txt mkview
              autocmd BufWinEnter *.txt silent loadview

              autocmd BufWinLeave *.* mkview
              autocmd BufWinEnter *.* silent loadview

              have a go at it, i think you should love them as a writer.  invest
              sometime in org mode plugin for vim, it saves you the headache of
              making one your own.

              I am definitely intrigued.

              Eric Weir
              Decatur, GA  USA
              eeweir@...

            • Eric Weir
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 8, 2011
                On Jun 4, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Devric wrote:

                > using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
                > as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited
                >
                > * 1
                > ** 2
                > *** 2.1
                > ** 3
                > *** 3.1

                Curious, Devric. I've been checking out the Vim Organizer videos. I notice that when adding body text the first column is aligned with the first column of the heading. Assuming you have linebreak set so words wrap to the screen, what happens when the body text extends beyond the first line, i.e., are subsequent lines also aligned with the first column of the heading?

                Thanks,
                Eric Weir
                Decatur, GA USA
                eeweir@...