Re: Svar: Folding

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011

      On Jun 2, 2011, at 6:56 AM, Dan Michael wrote:

      http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/442438-vim-tips-folding-fun

      I though this from the above is going to work for me, Dan.

      But why do something manually when you can do it automatically? To see to it that Vim saves and restores folds when a file is closed and re-opened, add these two lines to your ~/.vimrc:

      au BufWinLeave * mkview
      au BufWinEnter * silent loadview

      Now, each time you close a file, its fold state will be saved and reloaded when you reopen the file in Vim.

      After doing that, quitting and restarting Vim, then saving a folded file and reopening it, it opened unfolded. My guess is that something is taken for granted in the suggestion above that in my case should not be taken for granted. What am I missing?

      Thanks,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA  USA

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2011

        On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

        After doing that, quitting and restarting Vim, then saving a folded file and reopening it, it opened unfolded.

        My mistake. On my first try I hadn't saved the folded file since inserting those lines in my .vimrc. After doing that the file does open folded. There are a couple of problems, though:

        After inserting these lines when starting Vim or creating a new tab I get this error message:

        Error detected while processing BufWinEnter Auto commands for "*":
        E32: No file name

        And when I open a file, I get the following message:

        Error detected while processing BufWinLeave Auto commands for "*":

        After that, when i hit <return> the file opens folded.

        I suspect something was assumed in the suggestion of this option that in my case should not be assumed. What am i missing?

        Thanks,
        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA  USA

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2011

          On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

          After inserting these lines when starting Vim or creating a new tab I get this error message:

          Error detected while processing BufWinEnter Auto commands for "*":
          E32: No file name

          And when I open a file, I get the following message:

          Error detected while processing BufWinLeave Auto commands for "*":

          After that, when i hit <return> the file opens folded.

          Continue to get the first error message, but not the second. However, when a file saved with ten folded lines is saved and reopened, it reopens with only two lines folded.

          If anyone can suggest what's going on it would be appreciated.

          Thanks,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA  USA

        • Dan Michael
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011
            fredag 3. juni 2011 kl. 15:37:57 UTC+2 skrev Eric Weir følgende:

            On Jun 2, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

            After inserting these lines when starting Vim or creating a new tab I get this error message:

            Error detected while processing BufWinEnter Auto commands for "*":
            E32: No file name

            This is because vim naively tries to load the view for an empty buffer, but of course no saved view exists for the empty buffer. The same happens when you open a help page. There is no saved view for the help pages, so you will get an error. One simple solution is to use "silent!" instead of "silent". This will silence any error message. My preferred solution is to instead to save views only for files of certain extensions (since mkview saves a lot of things, not just folds, and sometimes you just don't want it all saved). So, for instance,

            autocmd BufWinLeave *.txt mkview
            autocmd BufWinEnter *.txt silent loadview

            And you could also use

            autocmd BufWinLeave *.* mkview
            autocmd BufWinEnter *.* silent loadview

            for it to work with all files with a file extension.

            And when I open a file, I get the following message:

            Error detected while processing BufWinLeave Auto commands for "*":

            After that, when i hit <return> the file opens folded.

            Try disabling all plugins and clean your .vimrc file, and see if it still happens. You may also have to clean your ~/.vim/views folder, which is where the views are saved (but then you will loose the folds).

            Then please see :h viewoptions . As you see, a lot of things about the state of the file are saved with mkview, not only folds. It may be a very good idea to only save the things you need, like e.g. :set viewoptions=folds,cursor

            Good luck further! But please try to avoid quadruple-posting next time.

            – Dan Michael

          • Devric
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011
              Hey Eric

              Rather spend so many times writing your own indenting, have you tried
              org mode for vim plugin? search org mode in vim scripts, and should
              have some videos to show what it is.
              alternative you can use emacs org mode, even though emacs org mode is
              so much more powerful but i still love vim more, cos is much more
              intuitive than emacs,

              using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
              as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited

              * 1
              ** 2
              *** 2.1
              **** 2.1.1
              **** 2,1.2
              ** 3
              *** 3.1

              and other really amazing functions such as GTD, calendar, tagging blah
              blah you can find them in the videos since i mostly just use the
              indentation to record notes

              i don't think it remembers the state which line is folded which is
              not, its all folded when opening the file, but it is quite simple,
              just use "tab" key than it expands and minimizes, much easier than
              zR... even you add a shortcut, it still doesn't beat "tab"

              if you also like to use the @tags , its good that you also get the
              plugin of compview, this gives you a small slide down buffer letting
              you see all your search results, when you highlight the line in that
              small buffer, you will jump your view in your working buffer to that
              line. to trigger it use the leader key than v eg: \v

              have a go at it, i think you should love them as a writer. invest
              sometime in org mode plugin for vim, it saves you the headache of
              making one your own.

              On Jun 1, 11:37 pm, Eric Weir <eew...@...> wrote:
              > I'm a Vim novice, and a writer not a programmer. I've perused the responses to questions about folding in the Vim FAQ. It's largely Greek to me. I have a couple questions: I understand folds can be indented. Is it possible to get Vim to wrap words to the indent column? Is there a way I can get folds to persist across a save and reload?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Eric Weir
              > Decatur, GA  USA
              > eew...@...

            • Eric Weir
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011

                On Jun 4, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Dan Michael wrote:

[...]

                Thanks, Dan. I gave this one a try. Now I don't get either of the error messages.

                Good luck further! But please try to avoid quadruple-posting next time.

                Does this refer to multiple copies of the same post or multiple responses to a response before receiving a response?

                If the former, it shouldn't happen anymore. For a while Apple Mail was hanging up on send, and several times that resulted in multiple copies getting sent when the message was finally sent.

                If the second, I didn't realize that that was discouraged.

                Eric Weir
                Decatur, GA  USA

              • Eric Weir
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011

                  On Jun 4, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Devric wrote:

                  Rather spend so many times writing your own indenting, have you tried
                  org mode for vim plugin? search org mode in vim scripts, and should
                  have some videos to show what it is.

                  using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
                  as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited

                  * 1
                  ** 2
                  *** 2.1
                  **** 2.1.1
                  **** 2,1.2
                  ** 3
                  *** 3.1

                  and other really amazing functions such as GTD, calendar, tagging blah
                  blah you can find them in the videos since i mostly just use the
                  indentation to record notes

                  Thanks, Devric. Never heard of org mode. As you describe it, sounds very interesting. I'll go looking for it.

                  i don't think it remembers the state which line is folded which is
                  not, its all folded when opening the file....

                  I was recently given a solution for this. Any one of these:

                  au BufWinLeave * mkview
                  au BufWinEnter * silent loadview

                  autocmd BufWinLeave *.txt mkview
                  autocmd BufWinEnter *.txt silent loadview

                  autocmd BufWinLeave *.* mkview
                  autocmd BufWinEnter *.* silent loadview

                  have a go at it, i think you should love them as a writer.  invest
                  sometime in org mode plugin for vim, it saves you the headache of
                  making one your own.

                  I am definitely intrigued.

                  Eric Weir
                  Decatur, GA  USA
                  eeweir@...

                • Eric Weir
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2011
                    On Jun 4, 2011, at 1:21 PM, Devric wrote:

                    > using org mode plugin for vim, it has really simple indent method such
                    > as using the " * " symbol to create heading-> sub-heading, unlimited
                    >
                    > * 1
                    > ** 2
                    > *** 2.1
                    > ** 3
                    > *** 3.1

                    Curious, Devric. I've been checking out the Vim Organizer videos. I notice that when adding body text the first column is aligned with the first column of the heading. Assuming you have linebreak set so words wrap to the screen, what happens when the body text extends beyond the first line, i.e., are subsequent lines also aligned with the first column of the heading?

                    Thanks,
                    Eric Weir
                    Decatur, GA USA
                    eeweir@...