Re: Successful ViM 6.2 w/Python 2.3 support under Panther

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:54:00AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > >
      > > Matthew Stott wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
      > > > done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
      > > > not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.
      > >
      > > [...]
      > >
      > > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
      > > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.
      >
      > I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
      > a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
      > messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
      > problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
      > Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
      > some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
      > installed with Panther.

      For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
      wrote, or add a link to his messsage.

      I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
      utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      *<|:-) Santa Claus (Ho Ho Ho)

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
        On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 05:43:16PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Benji Fisher wrote:

        > > > [...]
        > > >
        > > > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
        > > > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.
        > >
        > > I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
        > > a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
        > > messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
        > > problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
        > > Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
        > > some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
        > > installed with Panther.
        >
        > For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
        > wrote, or add a link to his messsage.
        >
        > I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
        > utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?

        I tried that, with no luck. I will add Matthew's instructions, but
        probably not until I get back from visiting my mother. (I leave
        tomorrow, and there is a lot to do before I can go.)

        --Benji Fisher
      • Matthew Stott
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
          On Dec 23, 2003, at 1:10 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > ***SNIP***
          >>> I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to
          >>> reproduce
          >>> a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the
          >>> error
          >>> messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think
          >>> the
          >>> problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
          >>> Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python
          >>> 2.2 or
          >>> some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
          >>> installed with Panther.
          >>
          >> For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
          >> wrote, or add a link to his messsage.
          >>
          >> I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
          >> utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?
          >
          > I tried that, with no luck. I will add Matthew's instructions,
          > but
          > probably not until I get back from visiting my mother. (I leave
          > tomorrow, and there is a lot to do before I can go.)
          >
          > --Benji Fisher

          I will see if I can duplicate Benji's problem. I've got a second Mac so
          I will wipe it, load Jaguar 10.ii and then update the system to 10.iii
          duplicate the upgrade problem so I can identify and troubleshoot the
          problem.

          Have a good family visit, Benji! You deserve a good vacation!