Re: Successful ViM 6.2 w/Python 2.3 support under Panther

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
      On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:54:00AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Matthew Stott wrote:
      >
      > > Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
      > > done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
      > > not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
      > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.

      I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
      a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
      messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
      problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
      Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
      some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
      installed with Panther.

      --Benji Fisher

      > I don't have the released 10.3, only a test version. Not sure if I want
      > to spend 150 euro on 10.3, I might wait for 10.4...
      >
      > Otherwise, I might do some testing myself with 10.2 and 10.3 beta when I
      > have time. If there are patches that I should include, send them to me
      > the coming weeks.
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 10:54:00AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > >
        > > Matthew Stott wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hello all, I have been conversing with Benji about this and I've now
        > > > done it twice under Panther. Not all of my steps may be required. I am
        > > > not a ViM developer so I am not sure why many have trouble with this.
        > >
        > > [...]
        > >
        > > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
        > > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.
        >
        > I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
        > a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
        > messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
        > problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
        > Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
        > some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
        > installed with Panther.

        For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
        wrote, or add a link to his messsage.

        I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
        utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        *<|:-) Santa Claus (Ho Ho Ho)

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
          On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 05:43:16PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Benji Fisher wrote:

          > > > [...]
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for the explanation and listing the steps. I'll assume that
          > > > Benji somehow merges this into his explanations.
          > >
          > > I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to reproduce
          > > a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the error
          > > messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think the
          > > problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
          > > Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python 2.2 or
          > > some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
          > > installed with Panther.
          >
          > For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
          > wrote, or add a link to his messsage.
          >
          > I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
          > utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?

          I tried that, with no luck. I will add Matthew's instructions, but
          probably not until I get back from visiting my mother. (I leave
          tomorrow, and there is a lot to do before I can go.)

          --Benji Fisher
        • Matthew Stott
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 23, 2003
            On Dec 23, 2003, at 1:10 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > ***SNIP***
            >>> I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not been able to
            >>> reproduce
            >>> a successful compile of vim with python support. Judging by the
            >>> error
            >>> messages from the linker, and some suggestions I have seen, I think
            >>> the
            >>> problem is that I upgraded to X.iii instead of doing a clean install.
            >>> Now, the linker complains about un-pre-bound libraries for Python
            >>> 2.2 or
            >>> some such, even though the only Python on my system is now the 2.3
            >>> installed with Panther.
            >>
            >> For the time being, perhaps you can list the instructions that Matthew
            >> wrote, or add a link to his messsage.
            >>
            >> I have no idea how to solve your problem, you might have to run some
            >> utility to "pre-bind" your libraries...?
            >
            > I tried that, with no luck. I will add Matthew's instructions,
            > but
            > probably not until I get back from visiting my mother. (I leave
            > tomorrow, and there is a lot to do before I can go.)
            >
            > --Benji Fisher

            I will see if I can duplicate Benji's problem. I've got a second Mac so
            I will wipe it, load Jaguar 10.ii and then update the system to 10.iii
            duplicate the upgrade problem so I can identify and troubleshoot the
            problem.

            Have a good family visit, Benji! You deserve a good vacation!