Re: no TextExpander with MacVim?

  • Christopher Stone
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2011
      Hey Bill,

      On May 20, 2011, at 12:55, Bee wrote:
      Note: I am using Textpander, an older version of TextExpander for osx 10.4.11

      Although I own licenses for TypeIt4Me (for 22 years) and TextExpander, my preferred utility at this time is Typinator - due to its vastly superior fuzzy-search mechanism and a few other goodies.

      The modern version still works with Tiger.

      The first use of Textpander in MacVim 7.3 (53) after changing to insert mode does NOT work, but after that it works! Leave insert mode, restart insert mode, the first use of Textpander does NOT work, but after that it does!

      Similarly, Textpander works in terminal vim 7.3.146 insert mode after the first try.

      Typinator has this same issue.  I think it has to do with the fact that the utility sees the 'a' or 'i' mode-change keystroke as part of the abbreviation string.

      Only when you hit an abbreviation termination character like 'space' or 'return' will your abbreviations work normally again, because they are no longer prefaced by the extraneous character.

      This is easy to work-around once you get the hang of it.

      The Typinator developer is pretty accommodating.  I'll shoot them a message and ask if they can fix this, although I'm not sure how they might detect the mode-state (particularly in the Terminal).

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris