Re: Feature Request: Navigation Sidebar

    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2011
      On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
      > I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
      >
      > VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
      > highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
      > really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
      > textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
      > isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
      >
      > Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
      > times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
      > having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
      > a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
      > efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
      > non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
      >
      > Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
      > while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
      > the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
      > request I won't expect to see it added.

      Something is in the works [1]. I'm only somewhat involved in this at
      the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
      on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
      properly. (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
      -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)

      To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
      to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
      for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
      as I can tell). Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
      quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
      to cater to their wishes. Hopefully this will generate even more
      interest in Vim.

      Björn

      [1] https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer

    • Steven Michalske
      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2011
        On May 18, 2011, at 1:09 PM, björn wrote:

        > On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
        >> I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
        >>
        >> VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
        >> highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
        >> really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
        >> textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
        >> isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
        >>
        >> Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
        >> times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
        >> having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
        >> a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
        >> efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
        >> non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
        >>
        >> Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
        >> while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
        >> the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
        >> request I won't expect to see it added.
        >
        > Something is in the works [1]. I'm only somewhat involved in this at
        > the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
        > on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
        > properly. (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
        > -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)
        >
        > To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
        > to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
        > for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
        > as I can tell). Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
        > quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
        > to cater to their wishes. Hopefully this will generate even more
        > interest in Vim.

        My BBedit friends also miss this.

        The have a file browser drawer and a open files drawer.

        > Björn
        >
        > [1] https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer
        >
        > --

      • Dougly
        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2011
          Terrific! Thank you

          I do note that I was wrong about Nerdtree and mice. A drawer would be
          cool, but many thanks for all the features already in there.

          On May 18, 1:09 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
          > On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
          >

          > > I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
          >
          > > VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
          > > highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
          > > really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
          > > textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
          > > isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
          >
          > > Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
          > > times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
          > > having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
          > > a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
          > > efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
          > > non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
          >
          > > Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
          > > while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
          > > the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
          > > request I won't expect to see it added.
          >
          > Something is in the works [1].  I'm only somewhat involved in this at
          > the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
          > on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
          > properly.  (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
          > -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)
          >
          > To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
          > to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
          > for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
          > as I can tell).  Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
          > quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
          > to cater to their wishes.  Hopefully this will generate even more
          > interest in Vim.
          >
          > Björn
          >
          > [1]https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer

        • David Kahn
          Message 4 of 9 , May 18, 2011
            On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
            On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
            > I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
            >
            > VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
            > highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
            > really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
            > textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
            > isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
            >
            > Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
            > times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
            > having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
            > a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
            > efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
            > non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
            >
            > Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
            > while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
            > the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
            > request I won't expect to see it added.

            Something is in the works [1].  I'm only somewhat involved in this at
            the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
            on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
            properly.  (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
            -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)

            To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
            to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
            for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
            as I can tell).

            Interesting... I moved to vim a few months ago from TextMate and the two deal-breaker features I had to get working before I could reallly commit to using Vim was (a) finding files, which was initially NERDTree and FuzzyFinder (I have since pretty much just used NERDTree), and (b) was find-replace and global find and replace.

            I am happy with the existing tools but I do see that you could bring some users over by making it easier. Have you considered just making NERDTree native upon load based on a config setting? I just have to imagine that there have been years of improvement included in that component....

            Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
            quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
            to cater to their wishes.  Hopefully this will generate even more
            interest in Vim.

            Björn

            [1] https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer

          • Andrew Stewart
            Message 5 of 9 , May 19, 2011
              On 18 May 2011, at 21:09, björn wrote:
              > Something is in the works [1]. I'm only somewhat involved in this at
              > the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
              > on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
              > properly. (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
              > -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)
              >
              > To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
              > to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
              > for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
              > as I can tell). Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
              > quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
              > to cater to their wishes. Hopefully this will generate even more
              > interest in Vim.

              I presume/hope this will be optional? I'm very happy with BufExplorer [1]
              and PeepOpen [2].

              Yours,
              Andy Stewart

              [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=42