Re: Feature Request: Navigation Sidebar

  • Kyle Lippincott
    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2011
      I've never used nerdtree, but it doesn't work with the mouse?  *gives in, installs nerdtree since everyone seems to love it..*

      Hmm, it appears to work with the mouse from what I can tell - double click an item to expand the tree.  Perhaps set a keybinding for :NERDTreeToggle to show/hide it (I don't know, maybe you could even bind this to mouse3 somehow in gui vim - I'm on terminal vim on a linux box, so it's possible the mouse doesn't work in MacVim, but I'd be really surprised).  Hmm, it looks like NERDTreeQuitOnOpen and NERDTreeMouseMode might also be interesting to look at.

      (I know this doesn't actually answer your complaint/request for a vim plugin, but maybe it helps in some way :))

      On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Dougly <darkswitch@...> wrote:
      I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,

      VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
      highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
      really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
      textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
      isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.

      Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
      times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
      having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
      a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
      efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
      non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).

      Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
      while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
      the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
      request I won't expect to see it added.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2011
        On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
        > I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
        >
        > VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
        > highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
        > really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
        > textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
        > isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
        >
        > Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
        > times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
        > having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
        > a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
        > efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
        > non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
        >
        > Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
        > while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
        > the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
        > request I won't expect to see it added.

        Something is in the works [1]. I'm only somewhat involved in this at
        the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
        on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
        properly. (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
        -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)

        To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
        to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
        for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
        as I can tell). Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
        quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
        to cater to their wishes. Hopefully this will generate even more
        interest in Vim.

        Björn

        [1] https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer

      • Steven Michalske
        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2011
          On May 18, 2011, at 1:09 PM, björn wrote:

          > On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
          >> I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
          >>
          >> VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
          >> highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
          >> really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
          >> textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
          >> isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
          >>
          >> Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
          >> times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
          >> having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
          >> a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
          >> efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
          >> non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
          >>
          >> Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
          >> while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
          >> the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
          >> request I won't expect to see it added.
          >
          > Something is in the works [1]. I'm only somewhat involved in this at
          > the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
          > on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
          > properly. (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
          > -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)
          >
          > To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
          > to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
          > for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
          > as I can tell). Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
          > quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
          > to cater to their wishes. Hopefully this will generate even more
          > interest in Vim.

          My BBedit friends also miss this.

          The have a file browser drawer and a open files drawer.

          > Björn
          >
          > [1] https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer
          >
          > --

        • Dougly
          Message 4 of 9 , May 18, 2011
            Terrific! Thank you

            I do note that I was wrong about Nerdtree and mice. A drawer would be
            cool, but many thanks for all the features already in there.

            On May 18, 1:09 pm, björn <bjorn.winck...@...> wrote:
            > On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
            >

            > > I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
            >
            > > VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
            > > highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
            > > really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
            > > textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
            > > isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
            >
            > > Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
            > > times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
            > > having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
            > > a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
            > > efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
            > > non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
            >
            > > Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
            > > while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
            > > the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
            > > request I won't expect to see it added.
            >
            > Something is in the works [1].  I'm only somewhat involved in this at
            > the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
            > on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
            > properly.  (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
            > -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)
            >
            > To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
            > to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
            > for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
            > as I can tell).  Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
            > quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
            > to cater to their wishes.  Hopefully this will generate even more
            > interest in Vim.
            >
            > Björn
            >
            > [1]https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer

          • David Kahn
            Message 5 of 9 , May 18, 2011
              On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:
              On 17 May 2011 20:50, Dougly wrote:
              > I'm with Sven this feature would be awesome,
              >
              > VIM is simply the best text editor, and discovering macvim is a
              > highlight of my burgeoning mac experience. However Nerdtree is not
              > really the solution I'm looking for. Ideally I'd love a VIM plugin for
              > textwrangler or notepadd++ (windows program). navigating projects
              > isn't as beneficial by command, but rather by mouse.
              >
              > Using commands to navigate in file is tremendous, it saves oodles of
              > times because we do it a LOT, doing so between files is difficult,
              > having to open nerdtree, navigate over, find the file (in what is not
              > a very good layout) and then go back/close nerdtree is the opposite of
              > efficiency, it's the dogmatic adherence to a paradigm. (obviously in
              > non-gui examples nerdtree is awesome).
              >
              > Anyhow, it's simply a request (although not a simple request) and
              > while sven and I would obviously use and appreciate it, I appreciate
              > the work the authors do already and if they don't see value in the
              > request I won't expect to see it added.

              Something is in the works [1].  I'm only somewhat involved in this at
              the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
              on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
              properly.  (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
              -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)

              To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
              to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
              for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
              as I can tell).

              Interesting... I moved to vim a few months ago from TextMate and the two deal-breaker features I had to get working before I could reallly commit to using Vim was (a) finding files, which was initially NERDTree and FuzzyFinder (I have since pretty much just used NERDTree), and (b) was find-replace and global find and replace.

              I am happy with the existing tools but I do see that you could bring some users over by making it easier. Have you considered just making NERDTree native upon load based on a config setting? I just have to imagine that there have been years of improvement included in that component....

              Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
              quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
              to cater to their wishes.  Hopefully this will generate even more
              interest in Vim.

              Björn

              [1] https://github.com/alloy/macvim/commits/file-drawer

            • Andrew Stewart
              Message 6 of 9 , May 19, 2011
                On 18 May 2011, at 21:09, björn wrote:
                > Something is in the works [1]. I'm only somewhat involved in this at
                > the moment, but hopefully I'll get some time during the summer to work
                > on MacVim at which time I'll start thinking about file browsers
                > properly. (No, it won't be hosted in a drawer window when it is done
                > -- I am working on putting it in a view inside the main window.)
                >
                > To those of you who don't get the point of this feature (like I used
                > to): this is apparently considered one of the major missing features
                > for people who are coming from other editors (mostly TextMate as far
                > as I can tell). Judging by Twitter and blog activity this group is
                > quite substantial (or maybe just vocal ;-) so I feel it is worthwhile
                > to cater to their wishes. Hopefully this will generate even more
                > interest in Vim.

                I presume/hope this will be optional? I'm very happy with BufExplorer [1]
                and PeepOpen [2].

                Yours,
                Andy Stewart

                [1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=42