no TextExpander with MacVim?

  • MacVlad
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2011
      Hello!

      I'm using MacVim Snapshot 57 on my iMac 3.06 GHz running Mac OS X
      10.6.7 and I've just discovered that TextExpander (in the current
      version 3.3.0.1) doesn't work within MacVim.

      Any idea?
      Thanks in advance!

      Best regards,
      Vlad Ghitulescu

    • Wy Mitbbs
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2011
        Don't know about TextExpander, but vim has its own plugins for doing the job. I am using:
        snipmate.vim (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2540). pretty nice

        On May 17, 2011, at 12:14 AM, MacVlad wrote:

        > Hello!
        >

        > I'm using MacVim Snapshot 57 on my iMac 3.06 GHz running Mac OS X
        > 10.6.7 and I've just discovered that TextExpander (in the current
        > version 3.3.0.1) doesn't work within MacVim.
        >
        > Any idea?
        > Thanks in advance!
        >

        > Best regards,
        > Vlad Ghitulescu
        >
        > --

      • MacVlad
        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2011
          Hello, Wy Mitbbs!

          Thanks for your reply!

          TextExpander: http://smilesoftware.com/TextExpander/index.html

          It integrates with every app on Mac OS X (except MacVim :-/) and can
          also insert images within the snippets. It can also generate forms /
          templates for let's say standard email-replies.

          Regards,
          Vlad Ghitulescu

          On 17 Mai, 07:23, Wy Mitbbs <wy.mit...@...> wrote:
          > Don't know about TextExpander, but vim has its own plugins for doing the job. I am using:
          > snipmate.vim (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2540). pretty nice
          >
          > On May 17, 2011, at 12:14 AM, MacVlad wrote:
          >

          > > Hello!
          >
          > > I'm using MacVim Snapshot 57 on my iMac 3.06 GHz running Mac OS X
          > > 10.6.7 and I've just discovered that TextExpander (in the current
          > > version 3.3.0.1) doesn't work within MacVim.
          >
          > > Any idea?
          > > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > > Best regards,
          > > Vlad Ghitulescu
          >
          > > --
          > > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
          > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        • Dan Michael
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2011
            Hi Vlad.

            It seems to work if you use the experimental renderer (MacVim
            Preferences -> Advanced).

            - Dan Michael

            On 17 Mai, 08:04, MacVlad <vlad.ghitule...@...> wrote:
            > Hello, Wy Mitbbs!
            >
            > Thanks for your reply!
            >
            > TextExpander:http://smilesoftware.com/TextExpander/index.html
            >
            > It integrates with every app on Mac OS X (except MacVim :-/) and can
            > also insert images within the snippets. It can also generate forms /
            > templates for let's say standard email-replies.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Vlad Ghitulescu
            >
            > On 17 Mai, 07:23, Wy Mitbbs <wy.mit...@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Don't know about TextExpander, but vim has its own plugins for doing the job. I am using:
            > > snipmate.vim (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2540). pretty nice
            >
            > > On May 17, 2011, at 12:14 AM, MacVlad wrote:
            >
            > > > Hello!
            >
            > > > I'm using MacVim Snapshot 57 on my iMac 3.06 GHz running Mac OS X
            > > > 10.6.7 and I've just discovered that TextExpander (in the current
            > > > version 3.3.0.1) doesn't work within MacVim.
            >
            > > > Any idea?
            > > > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > > > Best regards,
            > > > Vlad Ghitulescu
            >
            > > > --
            > > > You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
            > > > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            > > > For more information, visithttp://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          • Randy
            Message 5 of 8 , May 17, 2011
              Another solution is to check "Always use clipboard to insert snippet"
              in TextExpander preferences. That has worked well for me.

              Randy Ridenour

              Message 6 of 8 , May 18, 2011
                > On May 16, 11:14 pm, MacVlad wrote:
                >>
                >> I'm using MacVim Snapshot 57 on my iMac 3.06 GHz running Mac OS X
                >> 10.6.7 and I've just discovered that TextExpander (in the current
                >> version 3.3.0.1) doesn't work within MacVim.
                > On 18 May 2011 02:00, Randy wrote:
                > Another solution is to check "Always use clipboard to insert snippet"
                > in TextExpander preferences. That has worked well for me.

                Let me just add that I don't know how TextExpander works. From what I
                can tell it can never work 100% reliably in MacVim since MacVim is
                modal. However, I don't see any major reason why it could not work in
                insert mode.

                Unfortunately I do not wish to spend time trying to fix this (if it is
                even possible, maybe TextExpander is at fault) since there are much
                more powerful ways to accomplish the same thing in Vim itself. I do
                get that some people have a large library of TextExpander snippets but
                hopefully one of those users will take an interest and look into this.

                So my answer to this is: please send me a patch. (Sorry)

              • Bee
                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2011
                  Note: I am using Textpander, an older version of TextExpander for osx
                  10.4.11

                  The first use of Textpander in MacVim 7.3 (53) after changing to
                  insert mode does NOT work, but after that it works! Leave insert mode,
                  restart insert mode, the first use of Textpander does NOT work, but
                  after that it does!

                  Similarly, Textpander works in terminal vim 7.3.146 insert mode after
                  the first try.

                  -Bill

                • Christopher Stone
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 20, 2011
                    Hey Bill,

                    On May 20, 2011, at 12:55, Bee wrote:
                    Note: I am using Textpander, an older version of TextExpander for osx 10.4.11

                    Although I own licenses for TypeIt4Me (for 22 years) and TextExpander, my preferred utility at this time is Typinator - due to its vastly superior fuzzy-search mechanism and a few other goodies.

                    The modern version still works with Tiger.

                    The first use of Textpander in MacVim 7.3 (53) after changing to insert mode does NOT work, but after that it works! Leave insert mode, restart insert mode, the first use of Textpander does NOT work, but after that it does!

                    Similarly, Textpander works in terminal vim 7.3.146 insert mode after the first try.

                    Typinator has this same issue.  I think it has to do with the fact that the utility sees the 'a' or 'i' mode-change keystroke as part of the abbreviation string.

                    Only when you hit an abbreviation termination character like 'space' or 'return' will your abbreviations work normally again, because they are no longer prefaced by the extraneous character.

                    This is easy to work-around once you get the hang of it.

                    The Typinator developer is pretty accommodating.  I'll shoot them a message and ask if they can fix this, although I'm not sure how they might detect the mode-state (particularly in the Terminal).

                    --
                    Best Regards,
                    Chris