Re: Open file in new window via mvim

    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2011
      On 11 May 2011 13:20, Tor Nordam wrote:

      > I'm looking for a way to get mvim to open a file in a new window, or
      > bring the open window forward without complaining if it happens to be
      > open already. Similar to the --remote-tab-silent option, only with
      > window instead of tab. Is that possible?
      >
      > I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I tried a search, and
      > noticed this and related topics has been discussed a lot, but I
      > couldn't find a definitive answer.

      I think what you are looking for is the thread called:

      "mvim: bring forward window/tab of already open window instead of Alert"

      There was even a script posted that (as far as I can remember) did
      something similar to what you are asking for.

    • David Patrick Henderson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2011
        On 13 May 2011, at 03:11, Tor Nordam wrote:

        > Thank you for your reply.
        >

        >> $ open -a MacVim your_file
        >>

        > While this does what I want with respect to windows, it doesn't allow
        > passing arguments like line numbers (or at least I couldn't get it to
        > work), and it also gets confused by vim's viewports. Still, it works
        > most of the time.

        In that case the open command, at least on Snow Leopard, would be:

        $ open -a MacVim files... --args vim arg list

        David P Henderson
        c: 757.286.3212
        --
        "Human beings are unable to be honest with themselves about themselves. They cannot talk about themselves without embellishing."
        -- Akira Kurosawa