Re: Open file in new window via mvim

  • Tor Nordam
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2011
      Thank you for your reply.

      > $ open -a MacVim your_file

      While this does what I want with respect to windows, it doesn't allow
      passing arguments like line numbers (or at least I couldn't get it to
      work), and it also gets confused by vim's viewports. Still, it works
      most of the time.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2011
        On 11 May 2011 13:20, Tor Nordam wrote:

        > I'm looking for a way to get mvim to open a file in a new window, or
        > bring the open window forward without complaining if it happens to be
        > open already. Similar to the --remote-tab-silent option, only with
        > window instead of tab. Is that possible?
        >
        > I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I tried a search, and
        > noticed this and related topics has been discussed a lot, but I
        > couldn't find a definitive answer.

        I think what you are looking for is the thread called:

        "mvim: bring forward window/tab of already open window instead of Alert"

        There was even a script posted that (as far as I can remember) did
        something similar to what you are asking for.

      • David Patrick Henderson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2011
          On 13 May 2011, at 03:11, Tor Nordam wrote:

          > Thank you for your reply.
          >

          >> $ open -a MacVim your_file
          >>

          > While this does what I want with respect to windows, it doesn't allow
          > passing arguments like line numbers (or at least I couldn't get it to
          > work), and it also gets confused by vim's viewports. Still, it works
          > most of the time.

          In that case the open command, at least on Snow Leopard, would be:

          $ open -a MacVim files... --args vim arg list

          David P Henderson
          c: 757.286.3212
          --
          "Human beings are unable to be honest with themselves about themselves. They cannot talk about themselves without embellishing."
          -- Akira Kurosawa