Re: Open file in new window via mvim

  • Andrew Stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2011
      On 11 May 2011, at 12:20, Tor Nordam wrote:
      > I'm looking for a way to get mvim to open a file in a new window, or
      > bring the open window forward without complaining if it happens to be
      > open already. Similar to the --remote-tab-silent option, only with
      > window instead of tab. Is that possible?

      I'm not sure how to do it with mvim but this seems to work:

      $ open -a MacVim your_file

      In MacVim's preferences I have the "Open files from applications" option set to "in the current window...and set the arglist".

      Yours,
      Andy Stewart

      -------
      http://airbladesoftware.com

    • Tor Nordam
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2011
        Thank you for your reply.

        > $ open -a MacVim your_file

        While this does what I want with respect to windows, it doesn't allow
        passing arguments like line numbers (or at least I couldn't get it to
        work), and it also gets confused by vim's viewports. Still, it works
        most of the time.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2011
          On 11 May 2011 13:20, Tor Nordam wrote:

          > I'm looking for a way to get mvim to open a file in a new window, or
          > bring the open window forward without complaining if it happens to be
          > open already. Similar to the --remote-tab-silent option, only with
          > window instead of tab. Is that possible?
          >
          > I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I tried a search, and
          > noticed this and related topics has been discussed a lot, but I
          > couldn't find a definitive answer.

          I think what you are looking for is the thread called:

          "mvim: bring forward window/tab of already open window instead of Alert"

          There was even a script posted that (as far as I can remember) did
          something similar to what you are asking for.

        • David Patrick Henderson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2011
            On 13 May 2011, at 03:11, Tor Nordam wrote:

            > Thank you for your reply.
            >

            >> $ open -a MacVim your_file
            >>

            > While this does what I want with respect to windows, it doesn't allow
            > passing arguments like line numbers (or at least I couldn't get it to
            > work), and it also gets confused by vim's viewports. Still, it works
            > most of the time.

            In that case the open command, at least on Snow Leopard, would be:

            $ open -a MacVim files... --args vim arg list

            David P Henderson
            c: 757.286.3212
            --
            "Human beings are unable to be honest with themselves about themselves. They cannot talk about themselves without embellishing."
            -- Akira Kurosawa