Open file in new window via mvim

  • Tor Nordam
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2011
      Hello,

      I'm looking for a way to get mvim to open a file in a new window, or
      bring the open window forward without complaining if it happens to be
      open already. Similar to the --remote-tab-silent option, only with
      window instead of tab. Is that possible?

      I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I tried a search, and
      noticed this and related topics has been discussed a lot, but I
      couldn't find a definitive answer.

      Thanks,
      Tor

    • Andrew Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2011
        On 11 May 2011, at 12:20, Tor Nordam wrote:
        > I'm looking for a way to get mvim to open a file in a new window, or
        > bring the open window forward without complaining if it happens to be
        > open already. Similar to the --remote-tab-silent option, only with
        > window instead of tab. Is that possible?

        I'm not sure how to do it with mvim but this seems to work:

        $ open -a MacVim your_file

        In MacVim's preferences I have the "Open files from applications" option set to "in the current window...and set the arglist".

        Yours,
        Andy Stewart

        -------
        http://airbladesoftware.com

      • Tor Nordam
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2011
          Thank you for your reply.

          > $ open -a MacVim your_file

          While this does what I want with respect to windows, it doesn't allow
          passing arguments like line numbers (or at least I couldn't get it to
          work), and it also gets confused by vim's viewports. Still, it works
          most of the time.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2011
            On 11 May 2011 13:20, Tor Nordam wrote:

            > I'm looking for a way to get mvim to open a file in a new window, or
            > bring the open window forward without complaining if it happens to be
            > open already. Similar to the --remote-tab-silent option, only with
            > window instead of tab. Is that possible?
            >
            > I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I tried a search, and
            > noticed this and related topics has been discussed a lot, but I
            > couldn't find a definitive answer.

            I think what you are looking for is the thread called:

            "mvim: bring forward window/tab of already open window instead of Alert"

            There was even a script posted that (as far as I can remember) did
            something similar to what you are asking for.

          • David Patrick Henderson
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2011
              On 13 May 2011, at 03:11, Tor Nordam wrote:

              > Thank you for your reply.
              >

              >> $ open -a MacVim your_file
              >>

              > While this does what I want with respect to windows, it doesn't allow
              > passing arguments like line numbers (or at least I couldn't get it to
              > work), and it also gets confused by vim's viewports. Still, it works
              > most of the time.

              In that case the open command, at least on Snow Leopard, would be:

              $ open -a MacVim files... --args vim arg list

              David P Henderson
              c: 757.286.3212
              --
              "Human beings are unable to be honest with themselves about themselves. They cannot talk about themselves without embellishing."
              -- Akira Kurosawa