Re: Understanding Startup Settings in VIM

    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2011
      On 10 May 2011 11:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:

      > On 9 May 2011, at 21:33, fs_tigre wrote:
      >> I’m trying to learn MacVim and I like it so far, the thing is that I’m
      >> learning it watching some videos from http://net.tutsplus.com/?s=vim
      >> but I
      >> don’t fully understand some things.  For instance the “startup
      >> settings” I
      >> went and add some parameter for different font, color scheme, auto
      >> indent
      >> etc. but as I said I don’t know where this code came from I just
      >> followed
      >> the author and I would like to understand what type of language is
      >> this or
      >> where can I find a list with all of the available parameters.
      >>
      >> Where can I find more parameters and what language is that?
      >
      > These settings all come from different places which is a bit overwhelming when you're learning (Mac)Vim.
      >
      > Things like font and color scheme are called "options" in Vim-speak, and you can read about them in Vim's help by typing `:help options`.  You can set and unset options as you use Vim; and you store option settings you always want in your .vimrc (general settings) and .gvimrc (graphical settings) files.
      >
      > You can see where any particular option was set by typing, for example, `:verbose set backspace` (to inspect the backspace option).  Type `:help set-verbose` for more information.
      >
      > You can see a list of all the available options by typing `:options`.

      Let me also add that the "language" is called Vim script, or VimL.
      I've yet to find a good intro to writing Vim script but the official
      reference manual is at ":h eval" and user manual at ":h usr_41".

    • Marcin Sztolcman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2011
        On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:52, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

        > Let me also add that the "language" is called Vim script, or VimL.
        > I've yet to find a good intro to writing Vim script but the official
        > reference manual is at ":h eval" and user manual at ":h usr_41".

        Maybe Scripting Vim Editor by Damian Conway on IBM?

        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-1/
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-2/
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-3/
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-4/