Re: Understanding Startup Settings in VIM

  • Douglas Drumond
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2011
       I would like to understand what type of language is
      this or
      where can I find a list with all of the available parameters.

      Where can I find more parameters and what language is that?

      There's a good book called Learning vi and Vim editors from O'Reilly.

      Also I recommend vimcasts.org, free screencasts about vim.

      Regards,

      Douglas Drumond

    • Andrew Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2011
        On 9 May 2011, at 21:33, fs_tigre wrote:
        > I’m trying to learn MacVim and I like it so far, the thing is that I’m
        > learning it watching some videos from http://net.tutsplus.com/?s=vim
        > but I
        > don’t fully understand some things. For instance the “startup
        > settings” I
        > went and add some parameter for different font, color scheme, auto
        > indent
        > etc. but as I said I don’t know where this code came from I just
        > followed
        > the author and I would like to understand what type of language is
        > this or
        > where can I find a list with all of the available parameters.
        >
        > Where can I find more parameters and what language is that?

        These settings all come from different places which is a bit overwhelming when you're learning (Mac)Vim.

        Things like font and color scheme are called "options" in Vim-speak, and you can read about them in Vim's help by typing `:help options`. You can set and unset options as you use Vim; and you store option settings you always want in your .vimrc (general settings) and .gvimrc (graphical settings) files.

        You can see where any particular option was set by typing, for example, `:verbose set backspace` (to inspect the backspace option). Type `:help set-verbose` for more information.

        You can see a list of all the available options by typing `:options`.

        Yours,
        Andy Stewart

        -------
        http://airbladesoftware.com

        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2011
          On 10 May 2011 11:48, Andrew Stewart wrote:

          > On 9 May 2011, at 21:33, fs_tigre wrote:
          >> I’m trying to learn MacVim and I like it so far, the thing is that I’m
          >> learning it watching some videos from http://net.tutsplus.com/?s=vim
          >> but I
          >> don’t fully understand some things.  For instance the “startup
          >> settings” I
          >> went and add some parameter for different font, color scheme, auto
          >> indent
          >> etc. but as I said I don’t know where this code came from I just
          >> followed
          >> the author and I would like to understand what type of language is
          >> this or
          >> where can I find a list with all of the available parameters.
          >>
          >> Where can I find more parameters and what language is that?
          >
          > These settings all come from different places which is a bit overwhelming when you're learning (Mac)Vim.
          >
          > Things like font and color scheme are called "options" in Vim-speak, and you can read about them in Vim's help by typing `:help options`.  You can set and unset options as you use Vim; and you store option settings you always want in your .vimrc (general settings) and .gvimrc (graphical settings) files.
          >
          > You can see where any particular option was set by typing, for example, `:verbose set backspace` (to inspect the backspace option).  Type `:help set-verbose` for more information.
          >
          > You can see a list of all the available options by typing `:options`.

          Let me also add that the "language" is called Vim script, or VimL.
          I've yet to find a good intro to writing Vim script but the official
          reference manual is at ":h eval" and user manual at ":h usr_41".

        • Marcin Sztolcman
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2011
            On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:52, björn <bjorn.winckler@...> wrote:

            > Let me also add that the "language" is called Vim script, or VimL.
            > I've yet to find a good intro to writing Vim script but the official
            > reference manual is at ":h eval" and user manual at ":h usr_41".

            Maybe Scripting Vim Editor by Damian Conway on IBM?

            http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-1/
            http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-2/
            http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-3/
            http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-vim-script-4/